Canoe covers - Comments good or bad?

workingbadger

Mad Badger
In Memoriam
I have been thinking about getting a couple canoe covers. Anyone have any comments if they are a good idea? Anyone try the Polyspandex covers? I was hoping to get one from the WCHA store, but they have been out for a while. So, I was thinking of buying some Polyspandex and making a couple. Is it worth the effort?

I have a bag lady bag and like it. But, it is getting some tears in it after a couple-three years of irregular use. But, overall, it is the best cover I've used and if customized to your canoe's dimensions, it fits snug and is good for car top travel. The snugness I think is the main reason for the tears. I probably have pulled too hard at times to get it on when it wasn't completely in the correct position to pull and stretch it.

We have several of Sue's, The Bag Lady's, covers. Some are 15 years old, used all the time. Here's the custom cover she made for our IG. Inexpensive insurance from UV damage, adding years to our canoes finish and flexibility.

Attachments

• Canoe Stand 019.jpg
    Canoe Stand 019.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 357
Thanks Thirsty. Does the bag go all the way around, or does it have an opening underneath? Any idea what material it is? I heard the polyspandex doesn't last real long. Oh, do you travel withit on? Thanks.

Lots of good comments about the BagLady. But she wants $250 and the ones shown at the WCHA store are 40. No way can I afford $250......

Yep - $250 plus from the Bag Lady. I did buy a bag a while back that was sized for 16' - 18' canoes. It is durable and you can car top it. Some bags are not recommended for travel, so be aware of that before you buy. Anyway, the other bag I have has a lot of material and with my 16' canoes, I have to bungee cord it all over the place when I car top it so it doesn't blow like crazy. My 17' canoe isn't quite as bad but I still have to tie it up quite a bit. I don't have an 18' so can't speak to it.
I bought many years ago from Piragis up in Ely, MN. Can't remember the brand but they still have it listed as would any decent canoe accessory dealer. I remember it being about $130.

Be careful and make sure you are buying what you want.

Howard

I have a bag lady bag I purchased for a customer who then canceled his order...Would sell it it is for a 15' canoe of my design, a Goldeneye. 15' x 30 x 11.75 in center...Sue's bags are great quality.

Thanks Howard. Are your bags the canvas like WeatherMax LT, or the lighter, stretchy, PolySpandex? I have both wood/canvas and Royalex canoes sitting outside. Anyone ever try this spray on UV 'protector', such as Turtle Wax's UV Protector? I suppose I could buy a house, and build a huge garage........

Back