Canoe builders?

Benson Gray

Canoe History Enthusiast
Staff member
The pictures below are supposed to be canoe builders from the Old Town area but I'm not sure. I thought that the first one might be Old Town but the windows don’t match and none of the faces look familiar. The second one could be Carleton or Morris in Veazie but I’m not sure about that one either. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Benson

Attachments

• Builders-1.jpg
    Builders-1.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 287
  • Builders-2.jpg
    Builders-2.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 319
The second one is almost certainly Morris. I can match up a few of the faces (Including B.N.'s) with the photo that was on the back cover of Issue 187.

Where did you find these?

Dan

Further to the second photo, the buildings match up those shown in the various photos (catalogs, postcards) of the Morris factory site.

Yes, Bert even appears to be wearing the same hat and coat as shown on the back cover of Issue 187.

Benson

Wow. Does that seem to be Charlie Morris on the right side of the window? Would be nice to have "facial recognition software". I love the dog.

Guy I thought might be Charlie may actually be the fellow in the vest and hat to the right of the door in the older picture. This new/old picture looks like maybe 10 years later-- what do you think?

Has anyone ever figured out (or guessed) what building is in the background of the Morris picture is shown on the back cover of Issue 187? It doesn't look like any of his other known factory buildings.

Benson

I've wondered about this too! My only thought was perhaps this was the street-side of the building behind the Morris house on Flagg (although the large factory complex was in use by the time of this photo).

I've posted these pictures on a Facebook page titled "If you lived in Veazie, Maine, you remember..." asking if anyone knows who the people are. While there's been interest, nobody so far has singled anyone out.

Back