Can anyone tell me more about the canoe in the picture? Molded Mahogany canoe?

Streamline

I recently purchased this canoe to repair and refinish as a side project but my main experience is in cedar strip canoes. I've been told this canoe is a molded mahogany canoe, which I don't know much about. I was hoping someone here could tell me a little more about it, including specifics on best methods to bring this old canoe back to life. Would epoxy/fiberglassing be best? The outwales need to be redone as well as a crack repair in the hull. Thanks for any information!

Attachments

• SideCanoe.jpg
    SideCanoe.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 365
Your canoe was made by the Haskell Boat Company of Ludington, Michigan, who began building these canoes in 1917. Their construction process was awarded a U.S. patent in 1919. They were built into the 1930s, perhaps 1940s.

There is an article about the company in Wooden Canoe issue number 105 (June 2001), which is available as a back issue from the WCHA Online Store at http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-Magazine-Back-Issues/

Dan is right: Haskell. The gunwales, trim strip and thwarts are indeed mahogany, but the hull is 3-ply with both outsides birch and a core of redwood. Seats should be molded birch ply, the deck plates also ply but with the top layer mahogany veneer. Stripping old paint/varnish chemically is best with light sanding where necessary. Your photo looks like you have a rotten gunwale and maybe some lost hull. Scarfing in a splice to the gunwale is not so bad, but repairing the hull is a chore. I've restored a Haskell, and would never glass/epoxy a hull. Once encased in glass further repair is impossible. Where are you located? I'm willing to help or consult by email with more info that can be put here on the forum. Tom McCloud

I would not walk away from this canoe.... I would RUN!
Unless you were using it for a weenie roast or a beer cooler.
IMHO.... A good fix on this would be impossible.
With that said, a Haskell in good shape is really cool!
Dave
PS:If you are interested, I have a $125 canoe that can be fixed!!

Last edited:
There's a Haskell featured briefly in a wonderfully moody - very strange - documentary that came out a year or two ago called General Orders No. 9.

The trailer is here on the homepage, and you can see a quick peek at the Haskell at :30, and again at 1:30... pilotless and filled with antique books.

Whatever their construction method or ease of repair... the deck profile of this particular canoe is one of my all time favorites.

Thanks for the information guys, I appreciate it. I haven't been able to find a lot of info on the net about the Haskell's. This is the canoe listed in the Northern Michigan Craigslist. I got a cheap price for it and thought it'd be neat to see what I could do with it since the profile of it is beautiful. If repair isn't possible, then I have some other things in mind. But it's got quite a beautiful history and I love that! Upon further assessment, I've realized the extensive repair that this would be and truthfully don't exactly know how to go about repairing the hull damage. But as I learn more about canoe repairing, I thought I could learn quite a bit from investigating this project.

The White Pine Historical Village at Ludington has two Haskells in their collections. One has been restored. That is the closest location to Traverse City where you could take a look at one that is in pretty good shape. And since Haskells were built in Ludington, there is some local interest, with at least 4 canoes in private hands that I know of. Tom McCloud

Streamline I would like to thank you for buying the canoe, I was thinking about buying it and I already have to many canoes waiting to be restored. I think it can be restored as there is not a canoe that cannot be restorer.Just take your time and do it right.

That would be awesome to see one in it's proper form. McCloud, I also sent you a PM for some more information, since you've restored a haskell already.

Back