Bleaching method / product?

JPembleton

Chest Nut
If i go ahead an try to fix this canoe up i'd like to try getting the stains and black marks out. For those who actually appear to get great results, what do you use? In the past i have tried a water and bleach solution that really did'nt do the trick. Assuming some options are given, when do you use the product or method... after wooden repairs are done or before... or does it matter?

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 217
We used a product purchased at our local marine supply store for refreshing Teak, although not the Teak Nu brand, whatever we could get here in our part of Canada.
It worked well on the lightly stained and clear wood on our Chestnut but the dark black marks on the planking didn't change much. I don't know if those are mould marks from water sitting in the hull, but they didn't come out with the bleaching method or even sanding. I did the bleaching process after finishing all the wood work and just before putting on the first coat of varnish. It helped a bit in bringing the new cedar ribs/planking closer to the colour of the existing.

I've had good results with this product, but when its really black not much will bring it back - just call it 'character'

http://alexmilne.com/resources/pdf/teak_care.pdf
just the cleaner of course..

a good coat of oil after its done will really even things out, and bring back the colour which will blend things much more than if you varnished directly after bleaching, and lessen the constrast of the black a little.

From Grover Griffin
Axalic acid mixed in warm water to disolve ,will get most of the stains out. It is a form of wood bleach. I even us it to remove rust stains from my Dacron sails . Good luck

Back