Bedding compound

Stencil

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am getting closer to canvasing and want to know if there is anything that one might substitute for bedding compound. Having ordered a lot of material (expensive) I am looking for a cheaper alternative that might be available in a local hardware store.

maybe

There may be plumbers putty or some other stuff but at this point I'd stick with a good marine bedding compound. It's not too much money and it's proven. I've heard of silicone being used or latex sealer but I would advise against anything with silicone in the name. I wish I could give you a good scientific explanation as to why but I can't.

I've heard of silicone being used or latex sealer but I would advise against anything with silicone in the name. I wish I could give you a good scientific explanation as to why but I can't.

Because using anything with silicone in it will screw up your finish, and good...!

Bedding compound is your weapon of choice... If you've got a West Marine near you, you should be able to get a small tin of Dolphinite for not too much. In the long run, it is cheap insurance against leakage.

Dan

I hear you that bedding compound is the best product to use but I am in western Canada miles from anywhere and shipping is eating my budget.

I am in exactly the same boat right now. I just checked with my local West Marine, and Dolfinite was $47 bucks a quart. Can I use West Systems Epoxy? Maybe some filler added?

I'd not use epoxy as a bedding compound. I only buy a pint at a time and it lasts for several canoes. Jamestown Dist lists a few bedding compounds. I think Sikaflex comes to mind.

Sikaflex 291 LOT is one that I use for bedding sometimes. It's about $13 per tube. It may come cheaper in a squeeze tube, too.

I found a tube of Goop Marine, I haven't found if it contains silicone yet or not, any thoughts on using this?

Marine Goop

sparetime:

I have used Marine Goop to patch a few holes in the canvas of my Guide. It is really durable stuff, and it worked very well for that application. I have painted it with interlux and have had no problems. It is difficult to get a smooth surface when spreading it if I recall correctly, and it is a bit rubbery - so not very sandable.

It might work on the stems as bedding, but I suspect it may be more of a permanent fix than you might like, and it is difficult to get a nice smooth surface for paint.

Dolphinite

The pint can of Dolphinite from Jamestown dist. was more than enough
to bed the outside stems, stem bands and keel.
Like they say, a dab l do ya!
And who are they anyway

wonder if this makes good bedding compound...

By way of Wikipedia:

Lyrics for the Brylcreem jingle:

Bryl-creem, a little dab'll do ya,
Use more, only if you dare,
But watch out,
The gals will all pursue ya,--
They'll love to put their fingers through your hair.

Bryl-creem, a little dab'll do ya,
Bryl-creem, you'll look so debonair.
Bryl-creem, the gals will all pursue ya,
They'll love to RUN their fingers through your hair.

Note-When the dry look became popular, the last line was changed to, "They'll love the natural look it gives your hair."

It has been claimed that Fred Flintstone's famous "Yabba Dabba Doo" was derived from this motto when Alan Reed, the actor who voiced the character, didn't like the simple "Yahoo" in the script.

Kathy

Back