B. N. Morris # 10228

jriddle

I have started restoration of a B. N. Morris Serial Number 10228. From the literature I have found this is likely a 1910 boat. It was bought in north western PA in the 19teens from the family that gave it to me from a canoe rental outfit.

Serial Number 10228. From the literature I have found this is likely a 1910 boat.

That sounds like an interesting boat.
What sort of literature do you have to help date this boat to 1910?
It would be interesting to learn if there are some new date markers to use to help pin down Morris build dates.
From available data it seems more likely that a SN 10228 is from 1912 or possibly 1913.

Good Day,
I do not think I have anything new. I found some reference on a web site I can not remember that indicated that the first two numbers of the S# are the the year built. Cool to know that this is unlike the case....thanks

No one knows for sure so it's all guesswork. It's unlikely that the first digits are a date.
Here is recent related link and in it a link to more related discussion.

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?9673-Morris-Info

Post pictures as you go and good luck. Date be damned, there are not too many left and there were not that many built.
When you tell folks that you are paddling 100+ year old boat they won't know if they should believe you or laugh....
It should be good for another hundred if canoe nuts are still around...I can't imagine anyone collecting old Bell's or Mad Rivers but who knows.

Please let me know a bit more about your canoe... length, any unusual features such as existing decal, open wales, D-shaped outwales, etc.... pictures would be great. Thanks. I'm putting it in our database.

Kathy

Back