Ash for inwales?

Troppo2929

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have a source for Ash in the lengths that I need for in's and outwales for my 16' OT. Between Ash and Philippine Mahogany which would be the better way to go? I'm in Southern Cal., far from everything with leaves.

Ash is durable and cheap but heavy. Holds fasteners well.

I have no direct experience with PH Mahog, but suspect it is lighter and more expensive.

My understanding is that there are something like 25 species of tropical trees that are lumped together as "philipine mahogany". I tried to use the stuff once as outwales and had no luck steam bending it. It produced all manor of splinters and was tough to work with. Ash is better for bending, but as Rob said, it is heavy. I hear Spanish cedar is a good mahogany substitute, but I have not tried it.

Ash, heavy? White Ash and Mahogany weigh about the same per brd ft. Spanish Cedar would be prohibitively expensive in inwale lengths. White Oak has a much better resistance to decay and water but would be much heavier. Both Ash and Mahogany are medium weight hardwoods. If you can get Ash at a reasonable price that would be the best way to go unless you are talking about an AA grade. But if it is CS grade than Ash would be more than acceptable. I have a CS 17 ft HW that needs outwales. The originals were spruce but I have 18 ft Ash so that is what I will use rather than buy expensive 20 ft spruce planks.

I was referencing Genuine Mahogany. I have no way of running figures for unknown species generically referred to as Philippine Mahogany.

Back