Anyone know anything about Link Aviation Rowboats?

rowboat

Curious about Wooden Canoes
boat.jpgtag.jpg
Does anyone know anything about these boats? A google search only turns up info on the Linkanoe collapsable boat. For a guy as accomplished and well known as Mr. Link is I expected to find more!
I assume they were (are) canvas covered?

Thanks all

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    651 bytes · Views: 624
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    896 bytes · Views: 613
Most of what you want to know about Ed Link and his canoes and boats can be found in Wooden Canoe Issue 160 (back issues available from http://store.wcha.org). Resident expert Tom McCloud wrote the article, and he does mention the rigid boats in passing in his article. I expect he may chime in here soon...

View attachment 22716View attachment 22717
Does anyone know anything about these boats? A google search only turns up info on the Linkanoe collapsable boat. For a guy as accomplished and well known as Mr. Link is I expected to find more!
I assume they were (are) canvas covered?

Thanks all
I was just given the identical boat. It had been stored in an attic for about 40 years. I was told that it was a Penn-Yan "Cartopper" which it certainly is not. It has the same Id tag as yours with a model # and serial # I too can find no information about this boat. It is 11' 6'' long with a 46" beam with two sets of oarlock sockets.
It apparently was origonally canvas covered as there is some form of adhesive or filler residue all over the hull. The interior is in excellent condition.

I am trying to find out it's year of manufacture and approximate worth. I intend to re-canvas it and am currently searcching for a source for # 6 Duck canvas 72" wide.
If you have some pics of the bottom and hull I would much appreciate it if you would e-mail them to me.
I will be taking pics of mine tomorrow and will send them to you.
I see you live in Southern NH. I do also in Derry. We can chat by PM and share info if you want to

Dan,
Thank you.
I just ordered the "Wooden Canoe" Issue #160 you reccomended. Cost $4 and free shipping.
Colin B.

You have a Link CARCARRY. It was listed as 12', beam 48", with monel fastenings, 2 pair of bronze locks, 80 pounds and ideal for car topping. Construction consisted of oak ribs and marine grade plywood. No mention of a canvas covering.

This was part of a line of Link "rigid boats" that consisted of the 15' HERON and the 12' CARCARRY. Link advertised them as the "same workmanship which Link puts into sectional craft and famous Link trainer". I believe the rigid boat line was added late in an attempt to increase business. In any case it all ceased in 1949.

Not sure how many were made but I doubt you will meet another one out on the lake!

Regards, Bob Snyder

I can't add much of significance to what is already in this thread, as Bob Snyder has answered better than I could. As far as I know all Link canoes and boats were built at Gananoque, Ontario. You might find this name on a decal. Link also built a canvas-covered sectional rowboat, which is not what you have, but I believe I saw one at the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton, NY, if that is of interest. The factory at Gananoque was sold to employees in the early 1950's, and wooden boats, mostly powerboats, continued to be built there, but not under the Link name. Tom McCloud

I want to thank both Bob and Tom for responding to my inquiry. I read your joint authored article in the August 2010 issue of Wooden Canoe and found it most interesting and informative.
My boat is constructed with what appears to be oak ribs and 7/8" strip planking. I dont know what type of wood was used for the planking but it is certainly not plywood, maybe cedar?
The exterior of the hull was not faired to any extent and that fact plus the residue of adhesive or maybe filler on the hull leads me to believe it was canvas covered. The transom still had the canvas attached. There was also a 3/8" oak plate attached to the transom probably to accomodate an outboard motor.

I have recovered the hull with Dacron primarily to reduce the weight versus canvas and am curently in the process of filling and painting.

One interesting note is that I was informed that Link provided one of these boats with every seaplane they sold, probably as a tender, but I don't know if this valid or not. I don't know if Link ever produced a seaplane.
I was very interested to see in your article that the 9 ft "Linktender" was offererd with a sail rig as I am planning to add a sail rig to my boat in the Spring if I can find enough information on how to design and construct one this Winter.

Thanks again for your responses and most valuable information.
Best regards,
Colin Buxton

Attachments

• Link Rowboat Interior.jpg
    Link Rowboat Interior.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 314
  • Link Rowboat ID Plate.jpg
    Link Rowboat ID Plate.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 359
  • Link Rowboat 1.jpg
    Link Rowboat 1.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 357
Colin, I don't think Link even produced a seaplane. Ed Link's personal float plane was a Grumman Widgeon and the company owned a couple of them( Maybe Grumman included a boat or canoe with each Widgeon).

I have a sales brochure somewhere for the Carcarry model boat and if I can find it will make a copy available to you.

Nice restoration on you boat.

Regards, Bob Snyder

I recently picked up a set of floor racks for a Linkboat - thinking I would repurpose the wood to make back rests for my 1951 Yankee.

Upon seeing what great shape they were in, I decided it would be criminal to dismantle them as someone may be looking for them to complete a project.
I posted an ad in WCHA offering them for trade.

Hopefully these will help someone out.

Just Bought a Link Aviation car top boat. It came from NH. cant help but wonder if it might be one of the two listed above.photo-44.JPGScreen shot 2016-01-03 at 10.56.55 AM.jpg

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062
413-586-3875

Robert@RossBros.com

Attachments

• photo-30.JPG
    photo-30.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 332
Back