Any help on this one? This was the best photo I could get

otterofthewater

My arm extended as far as possible on a very unstable pile of tetanus ridden junk in an old barn I snapped this photo of the sticker. Does this look familiar to anyone? Id love to know what brand this is
I can make out
"St Louis_______
Canoe_________

Attachments

• canoe.jpg
    canoe.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 335
Best matches I could come up with is Meramec River (can kind of see that word on sticker) which is in MO, but Im stumped on if this will lead me to a brand

That is the decal of the St. Louis Meramec Canoe Company of Valley Park, MO, USA. They were often referred to as Meraco. There is also the outline of an arrowhead with a canoe across it, and probably the text "Arrow Head Canoes." You can see the distinctive arrowhead deck/gunwale junction to the right of the decal in your photo.

Here is the link to the KnowledgeBase entry for the company: http://forums.wcha.org/knowledgebase/Manufacturers:St+Louis+Meramec+Canoe+Company

Thanks guys, Im a novice to wooden canoes.. But I think I am about to purchase my first sea(lake)worthy antique wooden canoe..
Ill climb in that barn and look closer and see if I can't do some detective work as to its age and serial number Thanks again!

Welcome.

Good Find! Especially if its seaworthy. I have one that needs extensive work to each end. There are several posts on here about Meramec canoes as well as some folks that have the info you will need to get an approximate date. Wally Hauck would be the person to touch base with I believe.

Adam

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. You decal is indeed from a St. Louis Meramec Canoe Company, Valley Park, Missouri. This is a little town just west of St. Louis, where I live. If you can send the stem number and some photographs we can give you a rough idea of when it was built.
Pictures of the whole deck would be great. The length would be great, too.
Wally Hauck
St. Louis

Wally,

Do you have access to decks and stems? Both inside and outside stems? If so, can you PM me.

Back