Alternative fillers, a question

Mark Adams

all wood nut
Hi All,

I am trying to do a canoe in record time. It seems I saw a thread a while ago on differient fillers that didn't require the extended drying time of a traditional filler. I found something on Zissner Watertight paint, but it seems that there was another product that was only a 3 day drying time. Any thoughts?

Mark Adams said:
Hi All,

I am trying to do a canoe in record time. It seems I saw a thread a while ago on differient fillers that didn't require the extended drying time of a traditional filler. I found something on Zissner Watertight paint, but it seems that there was another product that was only a 3 day drying time. Any thoughts?

At Assembly there was mention of epoxy-based filler (Pam Wedd has used it on several of her boats).

Zinsser

I was a proponent of Water tite. I am not so sure now. I have had filler cracks on two canoes. My most recent is fine. If it is applied too thick and not worked in well, I am convince it will crack as sure a shootin'. And then it takes alot of sanding and priming. I intend to do some testing with a variety of thicknesses and layers etc. Someday.
If you use it don't put it on too thick and work it in well.

Same here!

I used it two years ago and found the alternate Cecofil to be fast, really, really easy to use and just about foolproof. Go with this, saves tons of time in application and dry time. After using it once, I can't imagine ever using the traditional materials and process ever again.

I was recommended Bakore as a filler. Its fast to use, but it takes extra work to make the surface proper for painting.

However. This is a big however, it does not seem suitable for my climate. The extreme cold of the winters is too harsh for it and it is very susceptible to cracking.

If this were for my own canoe, I could deal with it, but for client canoes, no way. Clients don't seem to like premature cracking of the canvas filler.

I won't be using it again.

Back