1956 Canoe Trip

Canoe trip video

Hi Fitz;
Thanks for that little video clip. I couldn't believe it when I saw the Guide. The tall thin one with the blonde hair, Beacher Scott. He was my Uncle who died a few years ago. Lived his life in St Croix, NB. When I visited his wife after his death his canoe was still in his back yard. Same as what is in the video. I live in Massachusetts but my family is from New Brunswick.
It's amazing how small the world really is.

Very cool coincidence...

For those who have dial-up (as I do): I downloaded a program called "videopiggy". It enables me to download YouTube stuff... it may take half an hour to download something, but then I can watch again and again or show it to someone and delete it eventually, or save it forever. It takes some of the pain out of only having dial-up and having to wait forever to see stuff.

When I located this program on-line, they said it was free, but (as with other "free" stuff) the catch is that the first few seconds are free and if you want to see the whole thing, you have to pay $25 for the program... but then you have the program.

Thanks Fitz; a great film! I have one that was filmed by an old friend of mine in 1942. It is a salmon fishing trip down the Upsalquitch River.

Matt

Not a Problem.

I can't take credit for finding the flick. It was floating all over the plastic boater's sites and I figured it really needed a showing here. I'm absolutely amazed that folks found kin in the movie. That's great and what a story!

The St. Croix is on my list to do. My brother had a great time on it this past spring with some scouts.

Cheers.

Fitz

Hi Fitz,

Haven't done any of the St. Croix. Maybe I need to add it to the list. I'd like to talk with you sometime about Maine canoe routes. Sounds like you have had alot of experience in this area. Over the years, we have done the standard stuff; Allagash, St. John, West Branch Penobscot, Moose etc., but would like to expand our horizons.

Did you get you deer in Maine?

Regards,

Matt

That was really great. I'm not much into motorboats, but I absolutely love watching those canoes move through the water. I still have a hankerin' to pick up an old Chestnut freighter or big Ogilvie some day as a utility boat and this video shows why.

As a curious side note, I've also been trying to figure out exactly what the announcers in these old films did with their voice inflections and speech patterns to get that "Movietone" narrator sound. Quaint as it may be, it always seems to have a certain respectfulness that's sadly missing from much of life these days.

Experience

Shelldrake:

Nah, sounds like you have more experience than me, although we do seek new routes every year.

Nah, that elusive Monster Buck has eluded us for two years running, but he is apt to make a mistake one of these years. Hunting Western Maine whitetails is a real challenge. You might get a decent shot every decade.:rolleyes:

My dad and I usually hunt with iron sights and/or smokepoles, so we are apt to make mistakes too! (don't ask):D

Back