Defining "Antique"

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
"Antique" used to mean "over 100 years old"--- or was, at least, a term attributing a certain period of time to the age of something... and I'd roll my eyes at something "antique" that was younger than I am.

Now, it seems "antique" simply means "of value".

Stopping by an antique mall yesterday, I overheard a woman telling her companion, "who'd ever have thought this [plastic '60s thing] would be an antique?" I doubt she meant, "who'd ever have thought this [plastic '60s thing] would last 100 years"... or "wow, that last 60 years flew by, and here it is, 2060!" ... she meant, "Who'd have expected anyone would want to buy this?"

So (looking at eBay listings) I guess it's okay to call a '60s wood/canvas canoe "an antique", because it does have value... and I won't tell my daughter-- born in '66-- that's she's an antique.

Kathy

With respect to some customs laws, "antique" is defined as something more than 100 years old. But generically, "antique" means anything from an object from "ancient times" to "something old". There were a couple of "antique" or "vintage" paddles on Ebay recently- a lovely pair of peeling Feather Brand paddles... now that's some antique! People also throw out the word "vintage" so casually as to mean "something old", when in fact it is meant to denote the specific date of manufacture, i.e. "those cheap paddles are of 1992 vintage"

In the antique boat world, there is at least one hard standard- that set by the Antique and Classic Boat Society. According to ACBS rules, the following classification scheme applies to boats and motors:

Historic:built in 1918 or earlier
Antique: built between 1919 and 1942 inclusive
Classic:built between 1943 and 1975 inclusive
Early Contemporary: built between 1976 and the year 25 years prior to current
Late Contemporary: built within the last 25 years

Whew!

If we were boats, Denis and I both missed being categorized "Antique" by ACBS standards... we are, instead "Classic"--- I like that!

Thanks for this information, Michael. Denis and I are members of ACBS too, but I hadn't looked at those categories. Interesting that nearly all Morris canoes would be considered "historic"... and in looking at Old Towns alone, the categories "work": An Old Town in the "historic" (pre 1918) category can have features not found on later OTs... and that seems to follow all the way through... Maybe this would make an interesting discussion for the journal.

Antique Question

Between looking at the pictures of the collection being moved in Chicago, reading this, and cleaning up my next project, I can't help but ask. I'm currently finishing up a 1945 Otca. A classic. Oddly enough filling the canvas has been my favorite part up until now. I digress.... My next project is a 1922 HW. CS grade 17' #67629. It's age puts it into the historic category. I would like to make sure that I do it justice. It needs decks, outwales, possibly inwales, seats, stem ends and a little planking, and a few rib ends. It only has one cracked rib that I should be able to do a backside repair on. Over all I think the 22 is in better shape than the 45.

How historic should I stay? Being new at this I feel like it might deserve more than just getting it back into the water. Not that I want it to just hang somewhere. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Glad you plan to USE your historic boat! This is part of the magic of owning a wood and canvas canoe: you can return it to its original self... let it start over as a "youngster" and live its life again... without having to find the Fountain of Youth, as we humans would have to do!

Although a 1922 Old Town HW is classified as an historic canoe, it isn't so rare a craft that you shouldn't enjoy it because you might damage something irreplaceable.

The magic of wood/canvas is that you CAN do more than simply make the canoe usable... a plastic canoe can be patched and used and patched again... and eventually will live forever in a landfill.... but a wood/canvas can be restored to its original glory--- or, with modern paints and your careful woodworking, can be better-than-new.

There are some historic canoes that are so rare that they probably shouldn't be restored at all, but left intact as they are found. But my feeling is that all the others--- which would be a majority of what's "out there"--- should be restored for the use and enjoyment of their owner.

This is the magic-- the poetry-- of wood/canvas canoes: they can take generation after generation down rivers and across lakes... they are containers for happy people-- smiling faces-- laughing children-- panting pooches-- those sitting peacefully, contemplating nature-- those excitedly pulling fish from the water.

You owe it to the canoe, not to let it gather dust.

And how you restore it--- the degree of historical accuracy you choose to assume--- is up to you. Some folks will change a CS grade canoe to AA-- after all, the original owner was able to choose. Some will add a longer deck. Some stick firmly to what the build record says... others will follow the build record in all respects, but will choose a different color.

Our 1912 HW with sponsons was originally painted with the "Indian cross" design. We plan to restore the canoe, complete with sponsons, but will use the "Greek ends" design instead, because the Indian cross is a reverse swastika.

I like Gil Cramer's now-famous quote, which begins with "it's your canoe--". Do what you're comfortable doing. If you have a question about something, run it past the folks here if you want... but, in the end, "it's your canoe".

Also, for most old wood/canvas canoes, the original build-information doesn't exist. Those with Old Town, Carleton, Kennebec, and a few others have the luxury of knowing the original colors... but my feeling is that having the original record shouldn't obligate the owner to make the canoe that way again... it says where it has been (appearance-wise)-- but you don't have to go there again unless you want to. Having the original build information should be a luxury... not a firm directive... or nobody would consider buying our "Indian cross" canoe!

Whatever you choose to do, share pictures!

Kathy

Back