Old Town Boat Request

raptor99

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Just found SN for 14' Old Town Sail boat. Looking for info before I start first time boat restoration project.
SN on stem looks like 05358. Possible built around 1955.
Thanks for any help.

It appears that this serial number is not part of the regular Old Town sequence that has been scanned. I have contacted the factory and they will check for this record next week in the skiff and row boat records which have not been scanned. The serial number should be on both the bow stem and transom edge or brace so please verify that the first digit is a zero. I will post any results here once I hear more. Thanks,

Benson

Thanks Benson. This pic is of the stem. Removed layers of paint on the transom bracket and most of the interior of the transom. Not sure where you mean when you say the edge? Top, inside or outside?
Thanks again for any help.

Attachments

• Stem SN.JPG
    Stem SN.JPG
    874.6 KB · Views: 413
The number is your picture is very clear. The edge of the transom is the narrow part inside the red box below that is facing the sky. It is the part that is between the inside and the outside of the boat. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question. Thanks,

Benson

Attachments

• boat-on-trailer.jpg
    boat-on-trailer.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 404
Couldn't find any thing on the stern, may have been sanded off previously.

Benson, were you able to request anything from OldTown?

Been looking thru the OT catalogs and believe it is a skiff. Looks like they went to cedar floor boards and side boards around ~58 which this one has, rotted but they are cedar.
Wierd but it seems like a hybrid boat, something between a skiff and a white cap sailboat. It is definitely built like the outboard skiffs but can't understand why it has a center board and mast, all original. Did they do special orders or was it modified?
Thanks for your help

I was able to request from Old Town but they have not been able to respond yet. The customer service department has been moved to a new building that is several miles from the factory where the old records are stored. I just called again but it may be a while before they can get this question answered.

Old Town would frequently complete special orders for almost anything that the customer was willing to pay for. This configuration would be logical for someone who wanted a slightly larger and less expensive sailboat than the Whitecap model. The build record should show if the sailing rig was installed at the factory. The plastic name plate in the middle of the side also indicates a construction date from the 1960s.

Benson

Last edited:
Thanks for asking, again.
You are right about the name plate. Looks like they changed it starting in 60-xx. In 66 or earlier they started using plywood floors, at least thats what I think I see in the catalog pages, lapstrake spec on page 17 in year 66.
Someone wrote that part of the refurbishment journey is finding out where the boat came from.

Thanks for checking, let me know if you find out anything.

raptor99 said:
Thanks for asking, again.
In 66 or earlier they started using plywood floors, at least thats what I think I see in the catalog pages, lapstrake spec on page 17 in year 66.

The specs you are looking at on that page refer to the larger lapstrake boats on the preceding pages. The specs for the skiff don't specify floor rack materials.

Better late than never? The Old Town with serial number 05358 is a 14 foot long Outboard Skiff model with a keel and a floor rack. It was built between May and July, 1964. The original exterior paint colors were gray and green. It was shipped on March 31st, 1965 to Lynn, Massachusets. A scan of this build record can be found below.

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

OTS-05358.jpg

Last edited:
Back