Keel on a 20' Guide

Dennis Vidal

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I am restoring a 20', 1969, O.T. Guide. No keel from the factory. I'll be primarily used to haul two people and a lot of gear on lakes. I'm not sure if I want to put a keel on it or not. Would I gain that much more tracking by installing a keel on a 20 'er? or would you leave it as it was built? Did most 20'ers come from the factory without a keel?

Thanks, Dennis

Last edited:
A keel on a wooden canoe will improve the tracking but this is really a personal decision. Many members of this forum find them more trouble than they are worth so keels are frequently removed during restorations. You can always leave it off initially and see how you like it. It would not be too much trouble to put it back on later if you change your mind.

I took a quick look at a small sample of about 31 examples of the build records for 20 foot Guide's models from the 1930s to the 1970s and found that about 55% of them had no keel. The percentage with no keel would probably be much lower for most other models and lengths. See the messages at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=409 for more information on this topic.

Benson

Dennis, I'm in the "I like having a keel on my canoe" camp. I think you're likely to hear from some that don't like them. On flat water, the keel helps tracking. I was first taught about canoeing on fast water in a keeled canoe and a keeled canoe can be ferried across a river. I like the control it affords me.

and a view from the other side

I'm in the no keel kamp. I don't like putting holes in a perfectly good canoe. I also would not want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, but some folks---

A twenty foot canoe should track pretty good keel-less I think. A keel may add some strength? Maybe? It'll add a couple pounds. maybe offer a little protection?
Dave.

No keel needed

I grew up paddling keeled canoes on large lakes and rapids all over Canada and for decades thought they were an absolute necessity (particularly for tracking on big water). Later in life I acquired a White Guide sans keel and have been happily paddling it on trips for many years. What I learned is that you make up for less directional stability (particuarly in beam and following seas) by better technique. You work harder, but have much better overall control of your boat.

For me, then, the real benefit of keel-less canoes is that they force you to be a better paddler.

I guess since Dave "lovely Lapeer" Wermuth mentioned holes, I'll ask the same question from a different angle. :)

Unlike Dennis, my OTCA already has a factory-installed keel - better to leave it on, or remove it during restoration and start patching holes? It certainly doesn't look like it would make a big difference either way, standing only an inch or so proud of the hull.

I expect to paddle mostly slower rivers and quiet lakes, no Lake Michigan, no Colorado River running.

I would agree that it is really a personal thing about keels. I use canoes with and without keels and the tracking thing is debatable. The main advantage in my mind is that a keel is a sacrificial thing that allows you to drag rather than lift over logs or when skidding your canoe onto a beach or dock and limit damage to the finish or fabric.

peter osberg said:
I would agree that it is really a personal thing about keels. I use canoes with and without keels and the tracking thing is debatable. The main advantage in my mind is that a keel is a sacrificial thing that allows you to drag rather than lift over logs or when skidding your canoe onto a beach or dock and limit damage to the finish or fabric.
I have a keel & while it may offer more protection when transporting across a dock, etc. I've always managed to catch those rocks & snags between the keel & the bilge so the amount of protection is questionable.

Thanks for sharing your...

......thoughts and opinions, they're very much appreciated. I've decided ( with your help) to not put a keel on. I have an 18' Guide that has a keel, and though I like the way it handles with a keel; I won't be paddling the 20' Guide solo like I do the 18'er. Also, it didn't come "as built" with a keel so why drill a lot of holes to attach a keel if not needed.
Thanks for Your Help,
Dennis

To keel or not to keel,....that is the question

My rule of thumb is that if it had a keel on it, a keel goes back on during restoration. If not, I don't add one..........

I'm with Dave O. If a keel was present, I put it back on; if not, I don't add one. Keel screw holes, whether filled or not, are at best unsightly. At worst, they are a ready entry point for water and therefore an easy starting point for rot (cedar is pretty darn rot-resistant, but it is still wood... and then there's the canvas to think about...). If unfilled, the holes will surely trap lots of debris. When a keel is put back on, particularly if screws are seated in bedding compound, the screws effectively prevent entry of water and debris.

Obviously there are many people on each side of this fence. But with quite a few canoes out there, why not try to find one made (or have one built) with no keel if you want to go keel-less? Of course if we're talking about an old workhorse of a canoe, meant still to be a workhorse, it may not be a big deal to leave the keel off.

M

Back