2 Haskell Canoes and a set of paddles

antiquedave

A friend of mine has two Haskell Canoes, one has seats and a set of Haskell Paddles, he wants to sell them but is not online so I'm poking around a bit to see if I can help.

The one is in excellent condition but has been fiberglassed the other needs some work but is original, there is a decal on the seat for Haskell

I see that there is a lot of value in the canoe in original condition but would like to hear the communities thoughts on how the fiberglass affects the value of an old canoe like this.

thanks in advance for any help on this

Some general answers:

If you search this forum for "fiberglass" you'll find many postings about its use on wood/canvas canoes. As for value of a fiberglassed w/c canoe, you'll learn that removing the fiberglass is not pleasant, and thus adds much work to a restoration effort, therefore reducing the boat's desirability by a considerable margin.

For more specific answers, posting pictures would help. Besides which, we like pictures of canoes & paddles!

The experts who can give you more specific information are at out annual Assembly, so more replies might be slow in coming.

As to value, there's a thread here: http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57-How-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth in which value of a canoe is discussed in depth.

Assembly is at Paul Smith's College, in Upstate New York... not sure where you're located, but it's well worth the trip there, and you could display the boats out on the green, too! Also, it wouldn't be hard to find someone who knows something about Haskell canoes, just ask at the registration table, and they'll know who to ask...

Dear Sir,

I am eagerly searching for an original Haskell canoe. I assume this one you mention has been sold. Do you have any information about others that might be available?

Many thanks,

Jane

Back