Old Town 173487 15

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
Could I have the build record for 173487? It should be a 1964 vintage 50 Pounder.

Thanks in advance.

Fitz

Last edited:
The Old Town canoe with serial number 173487 is a 15 foot long fifty pound model with a keel. It was built between November, 1963 and March, 1964. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on May 4th, 1964 to Concord, Mass.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as I'm sure you know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description don't match the canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• 173487.gif
    173487.gif
    39.5 KB · Views: 157
Nearly Factory Fresh Fifty Pounder

The owner of this canoe bought it on May 9th, 1964 with a little bit of money he inherited when his father died. He bought it at Macone's Sporting Goods on Lowell Road in Concord, MA. He paid $277 for the canoe and three paddles. He still has the sales receipt. The owner was an active Boy Scout and traveled in NY, including Blue Mountain Lake. He was an avid canoeist.

He took extremely good care of his canoe. This canoe is in nice original condition. The owner did remove the spacers on the bow seat, because being a boy scout, he preferred to paddle while kneeling, so he raised the bow seat. There are a few breaks in the seat caning, but it is a fine paddler now. The outwales are mahogany, which seems to be a trait of these 60's vintage lightweights. I restored one a few years ago that had mahogany outwales.

Well, the owner wants to find a good home for his canoe and the current plan is to contribute it to the Assembly Auction.

Bring your wallet and some space on your car rack. Bid high, and bid often.:cool:

Fitz

Attachments

• 50Pounder.jpg
    50Pounder.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 154
  • 50Pounder2.jpg
    50Pounder2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 50Pounder3.jpg
    50Pounder3.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
That is really great, Fitz! Be sure to let the owner know how much we appreciate it. If I weren't already overflowing.....

The pressure is on, Andre!

Dan

Double Post

Sorry about the double post. Somehow, I managed to do it while talking on the phone, doing the dishes, and letting the dog out:p.

The genuine Old Town paddles were $4 a piece retail in 1964.

That is really great, Fitz! Be sure to let the owner know how much we appreciate it. If I weren't already overflowing.....

Well Dan, the owner found the WCHA through the website, and then got in touch with Steve Lapey and the canoe was 5 miles from my house, so we all play a part. He specifically mentioned seeing the word, "Donate" on the website! The owner is thrilled to think that people still have a passion for these boats and is glad to help the cause.

Last edited:
Back