Strong Canoe Yard

bluehen16

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Greetings, I just purchased a canoe with a plate stating the canoe was made by the Strong Canoe Yard, Craftsbury Commons Vermont. It has a serial # hxswo6160685 First o could be a Q possibly.
Would anyone have any info on this or the manufacturer? Thanx! Greg
Canoe.jpg

You can call Horace Strong. I've been there and visited. It was very cool. They're very nice. I don't have the contact number but you might try the white pages. yOU'RE A lucky guy, Horace said he made about a hundred. Someone will chime in with the uscg info from your number. I think the 85 may indicate year built.

Hi Dave Thank you, I live on the Oregon Coast of all places to find this canoe. So honestly have no idea who Horace is as we are just newbies the the gorgeous wood and canvas canoes. I tried to google the co name but came up with nothing on them, so if only 100 built that makes sense. THank you againg for your reply, if you have any contact info found we would sure appreciate it, Thanx! Greg and LoRee

a newbie
You can call Horace Strong. I've been there and visited. It was very cool. They're very nice. I don't have the contact number but you might try the white pages. yOU'RE A lucky guy, Horace said he made about a hundred. Someone will chime in with the uscg info from your number. I think the 85 may indicate year built.

HOrace Strong

Hi Dan, Thank you so much for the private message. I left a message for Horace this morning. I hope to trace the travels of this canoe and how it came all the way out to the Oregon Coast! Thanx! Greg
Hi Dave Thank you, I live on the Oregon Coast of all places to find this canoe. So honestly have no idea who Horace is as we are just newbies the the gorgeous wood and canvas canoes. I tried to google the co name but came up with nothing on them, so if only 100 built that makes sense. THank you againg for your reply, if you have any contact info found we would sure appreciate it, Thanx! Greg and LoRee

a newbie

Horace Strong

Hi Guys, thank you so much for all the help. I got to talk with Horace today and he is really helpful. We have traced now all owners of the canoe from the first time he sold it to my garage on the Oregon coast. At one time it was owned by Russ Francis of the NFL Saints!
Thanx again, Greg

Hi Greg,

Horace Strong is the fellow who built your canoe. I have sent his phone number to you via Private Message. Horace has been written about, and written several articles for, the WCHA's journal Wooden Canoe. You can identify which issues through the Wooden Canoe Index located here: http://www.wcha.org/journal/Index to Wooden Canoe.pdf

Back