First time serial search

nickb

WCHA member #8947
Didn't know if I'd ever be in a position to do this, but would someone with the cds kindly look up Old Town serial # 182328. Should be just a little guy. Thank you all, and happy advent...

Attachments

• IMG-20111118-00117.jpg
    IMG-20111118-00117.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 168
The Old Town canoe with serial number 182328 is a 11 foot long, lightweight model. It was built between December, 1968 and January, 1969. The original exterior paint color was dark greeen. It shipped on May 5th, 1971 to Minneapolis, Minn. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• 182328.gif
    182328.gif
    42.2 KB · Views: 161
That would be the one. Thank you Mr. Gray - obviously appropriate for you to reply - so grateful for your assistance.

Wait "Lightweight" is the model name? I just assumed it was a Trapper or a Pack or something... What typifies a "lightweight" model - the obvious?

Nevermind - I always forget about the Dragonfly Canoe identification guide... Answered my own question...

From Dragonfly Canoe (if Dan will permit me) quote:

"50 Pound Model (1910 – circa 2010): Lightweight model with thinner ribs and planking than typical. Variations of
this model were called the Trapper, Lightweight and Featherweight."

www.dragonflycanoe.com/wood-canoe-identification-guide/

From Dragonfly Canoe (if Dan will permit me) quote:

\

and if I don't permit?.... only kidding :D

In 1968 Lightweight is the canvas covered, Trapper is glassed, and Featherweight is covered with Dacron. Same canoes, different skins.

If this is the wrong forum section to post more about this canoe, someone please rap me sharply on the knuckles, and relocate this to the wood/canvas canoe forum.... In the meantime, I have finally gotten around to getting the old canvas off, and pried out all the old staples (and removed outwales and keel). I'll include a picture of how she sits today. As you can see there is some discoloration on the outside planking from when a previous owner stored it outside upside down, though it's difficult to say if it's actually "rot" or not. There are no "punky" spots - everything still feels structurally sound (even the stem tips). By the way the hint of white by the waterline on the stem is just old bedding compound... Just wondering if you'd recommend putting something like git-rot on this thing anywhere, or not mess with it if there are no soft spots. It is (and will be) stored inside from now on, and likely won't see any bwca trips (being an 11' boat and me with a family) so... Thanks again - you guys are awesome.

Attachments

• Red Canoe sans staples.jpg
    Red Canoe sans staples.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 166
And just for the sake of clarity, there's no discoloration on the interior of the canoe - only the unvarnished "exterior"

Back