The most unlikely places your canoe has taken you....

Becky Mason

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I have just returned from Europe and the UK where I had the remarkable privilege of paddling in all kinds of amazing places. Suffice it to say that it wasn't pine trees and rock of the Canadian Shield! It got me to thinking about the amazing and unexpected places my canoe has taken me. Just on this trip I paddled past windmills in the canals of Holland. We also threaded our boats through dark (like, pitch black!) winding passage-ways under the medieval town of Amersfoort where we could hear people talking in their house over-head. Paddling in the moat of Chateau Chenonceau in France was surreal and I couldn't resist an impromptu Canadian Style demo for my fellow paddlers and the throngs of unsuspecting tourists. But I felt right at home on a 3 day trip on the Ticino River in Italy, except for all the wild boars tracks.... what does one do when face to face with a wild boar? I never had to find out.

One thing that remained constant was how kind and generous paddlers are wherever you go.
So what unexpected places has your canoe taken you?

You can read more and see images of where my canoe took me.
http://www.redcanoes.ca/becky/canoe/locate11europe.html

My favorite European paddling location is Langollen in Wales. The British Universities and Colleges Canoe Championship was held there during my junior year abroad. It is the only time that I have ever been able to run a whitewater race and then have a short portage to a canal where you can paddle back to the start over a stone aqueduct. Acrophobia is usually not a problem when paddling but it did feel very strange to be so high up in a small boat. I didn't see or paddle any wooden canoes on that trip though. The web site at http://www.llangollen.org.uk/ has more details.

Part of the appeal of paddling is that you can find interesting places almost anywhere. The Maine Chapter of the WCHA took a trip down the Kennebec this autumn and started from Solon and Embden which have a broad array of petroglyphs. The water was unusually high that day so many of the best ones were not easily visable. This location has some very old depictions of canoes as shown in the images below. The web site at http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/embden09pix.html has more details.

Benson

Attachments

• IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 339
  • Rock-Art.jpg
    Rock-Art.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
I guess my canoe(s) have taken me to many places....like so many others:

....The canoe is a vehicle that carries you into pretty exciting places, not only into whitewater but into the byways and off-beaten places….You are removed entirely from the mundane aspects of ordinary life. You’re witnessing first hand beauty and peace and freedom – especially freedom….Flirtation with the wilderness is contact with truth, because the truth is in nature….I like to identify myself with something that is stable and enduring. Although [nature] is in a state of flux, it is enduring. It is where reality is. I appreciate the canoe for its gifts in that direction. - Kirk Wipper, from CBC Radio’s Ideas program The Perfect Machine: The Canoe.

A journey by canoe along ancient waterways is a good way to rediscover our lost relationship with the natural world and the Creator who put it tohether so long ago. - Bill Mason, Path of the Paddle

The path of the paddle can be a means of getting things back to their original perspective. - Bill Mason, Path of the Paddle

….the age of the canoe is not gone; it’s justdifferent. the canoe is no longer a vehicle of trade and commerce. Instead, it has become a means of venturing back into what is left of the natural world. It’s true there isn’t much left to be discovered, but there is much to be rediscovered about the land, about the creatures who live there, and about ourselves. Where do we come from and where are we going? There is no better place and no better way to follow this quest into the realm of spirit than along the lakes and rivers of the North American wilderness in a canoe. -Bill Mason, Path Of The Paddle

I have often thought about the connections that paddlers experience when canoeing. Peace, reflection and wonder come to mind. I suppose it’s a desire to seek a form of quiet meditation. I find it natural to turn to paddling as a meditation point. I’m not sure that the canoe is the real catalyst for me though. It’s the natural environment that really elevates my awareness and feeling of heightened spiritually and belonging. For instance, I would not feel at one with my surroundings if I was paddling indoors in a chlorinated pool, where as I might feel totally different if I had hiked into a remote waterfall. - Becky Mason

Like him, I find that paddling can take you on a voyage of creativity where you store up experiences in your memory to treasure for a lifetime. – Becky Mason (on her Dad's art)

May every dip of your paddle lead you towards a rediscovery of yourself, of your canoeing companions, of the wonders of nature, and of the unmatched physical and spiritual rapture made possible by the humble canoe - Pierre Elliott Trudeau, foreword to Path of the Paddle by Bill Mason, 1980

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you already a child of nature. – Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Canoeing gets you back close to nature, using a method of travel that does not even call for roads or paths. You are following nature’s roads; you are choosing the road less travelled, as Robert Frost once wrote in another context, and that makes all the difference. You discover a sort of simplifying of your values, a distinction between those artificially created and those that are necessary to your spiritual and human development. – Pierre Elliott Trudeau

I think a lot of people want to go back to basics sometimes, to get their bearings. For me a good way to do that is to get into nature by canoe – to take myself as far away as possible from everday life, from its complications and from the artificial wants created by civilization. Canoeing forces you to make a distinction between your needs and your wants. – Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Memoirs

A canoeing expedition….involves a starting point rather than a parting. Although it assumes the breaking of ties, its purpose is not to destroy the past, but to lay down a foundation for the future. From now on, every living act will be built on this step, which will serve as a base long after the return of the expedition….and until the next one. - Pierre Trudeau

The movement of a canoe is like a reed in the wind. Silence is part of it, and the sounds of lapping water, bird songs, and wind in the trees. It is part of the medium through which it floats, the sky, the water, the shores….There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace. The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten. It is an antidote to insecurity, the open door to waterways of ages past, and a way of life with profound and abiding satisfactions. When a man is part of his canoe, he is part of all that canoes have ever known. – Sigurd Olson from The Singing Wilderness

The canoe was drifting off the islands, and the time had come for the calling, that moment of magic in the north when all is quiet and the water still iridescent with the fading glow of sunset. Even the shores seemed hushed and waiting for the first lone call, and when it came, a single long-drawn mournful note, the quiet was deeper than before. - Sigurd Olson, The Singing Wilderness

I’m sure there are many things I’ll never learn by traveling over the earth in a canoe. I’m just not sure any of them are worth much. - Douglas Woods, Paddle Whispers

I remember my very first canoe trip. I was terrified. We were venturing out into what seemed to be uncharted territory, perhaps never to be seen again. Every aspect of it was intimidating … but especially the idea that somehow our survival depended on us doing stuff and doing it together and doing it right. Of course, steadily, terror gave way to triumph, and I returned with an indescribable feeling of achievement. – Michael Eisner

Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. – Henry David Thoreau

It is wonderful how well watered this country is…. Generally, you may go any direction in a canoe, by making frequent but not very long portages. - Henry David Thoreau

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be! – Signature from online canoeing forum.

To canoe is to be moved. - Doug E. Bell

If there’s a place, canoe there. - Brent Kelly

Why do we come to this place with its clouds of black flies and mosquitoes, the gravel road that rattles your bones, teeth and tires loose? Why do so many of us return year after year with the spring thaw? We migrate, not unlike other species, to the North, to the water, to the bush and shield rock country that makes up Northern Saskatchewan. We pack up our paddles and gear, strap our canoes on roofs- some of them nice, more of them dented aged jalopies- and instinctively make our way northbound on the CANAM highway.

People ask how I can stand the 13-hour, door to door drive to Missinipe. How do I explain a love for watching geography as it changes with each mile? How do I explain the burst of energy that I am infused with when I pass over the bridge in Prince Albert and the whole world changes from one of lush farmland to one of boreal forest with sneak peeks of lakes with their loons calling in the early evening? I don’t need to explain it to my dog for she wakes from her slumber to sniff at the windowsill. I open it for myself as much as I do for her, breathing in the scent of the Jackpines and fresh water. – Shannon Bond, Churchill River Canoe Blog

Originality is unexplored territory. You get there by carrying a canoe. You can’t take a taxi. – Alan Alda

We need quiet places, and we need quiet ways to travel in them. We never quite realize how valuable they are until we’ve been paddling, camping, and fishing in them for a few days. Once cleansed of the residue of daily living, it’s possible to find what my son once called ‘a calm spot’ in your heart. It’s a good thing to find. – Jerry Dennis, From a Wooden Canoe

The canoe is the most practical, efficient and satisfying way to travel through wild country, particularly on the Canadian Shield, where you can go almost anywhere. I think of that country every day of my life. One of the things I like best about canoe travel is that you are completely self-reliant. There is no dependence on mechanical devices. It is utterly simple. For me, the canoe means complete freedom – the ultimate escape. - Alex Hall

I have always had a desire to explore out-of-way places. Together, the canoe and this country’s many waterways provide the ideal combination. When travelling by canoe you seem to blend in rather than being an intrusion on your surroundings. – John B. Hughes

Canoeing is the best way to become intimate with the land. You can cover so much more territory in a canoe. You don’t need to concentrate on your feet, thereby allowing your eyes to soak up the landscape around you. Travel by canoe is more about the journey than the destination. – Rolf Kraiker

It’s pretty hard for me to go more than a few days without getting a paddle wet somewhere. For me, that stepping into the canoe and pushing off is a very special spiritual and physical experience. Bill Mason had it right: it’s like walking on water. It transports you to another way of being, another way of feeling – it restores my soul. – David Finch

I have been very fortunate to 'travel' by canoe in some unlikely spots.....or rather to places I might not have otherwise gone....I love to hear of far-off places that people get to by canoe....whether in Europe or some remote Northern river....and I have had the opportunity to share in such adventures myself....

Then again I have never paddlled in a 'sewer'....I found this online doing a search on 'unusal' places to paddle....about a group who paddled the Fleet River 'in' London, http://londonist.com/2010/08/a_trip_down_the_fleet_river.php.

But not to take away from the novelty of such ventures, even exploring a sewer in London, England....or even to hijack the original intention of this thread....I guess for me I sum up where the canoe has taken me....unlikely or familiar....as follows:

A canoe is a very good way to get close to nature. While it is possible to make a canoe go pretty fast, it is the thrill of slowing down that appeals to most canoeists. Even when canoes do go fast, when they rocket rapidly through whitewater, they are still canoes. Still close to nature and its environs. It is not the canoe that provides the power, it is the water. The canoe rides the water and its occupants humbly steer.

In a canoe you can’t help but feel the body of the country, notice the shape of islands or hills, hear the cries of birds and the sound of the wind, yet still respond fervently to the hundreds of small things that make up the world about you. Take a canoe onto a lake at night and enjoy what it can do, acting as a launching pad to distant worlds, opening up a vista of stars in the sky. The canoe seems to float up to these very stars and far away planets, as the night sky becomes one with the dark silent waters, twinking stars reflected in murky depths until water and sky all seem to blend together in one great expanse.

Canoes can sneak up on loons or beavers or herons, even a mighty moose, silently getting you closer than you can imagine. The canoe becomes part of its surroundings, becoming part of the natural world, and so completely that even once discovered it doesn’t scare such creatures. The canoe is just part of their world, accepted as always being there. It might be that the canoe has been such a familiar sight for so long, for so many years in the north country. In no particular hurry, the loon or the beaver slip quietly under the water if at all bothered by any such intrusion. Usually the moose will just stand there, holding its ground, patiently out waiting the canoe and its paddlers, unless it tires and lumbers off to the safety of the nearby bush. The heron takes flight with its dignity intact, probably thinking: “It’s only a canoe, but I’ll just move away a bit anyway.”

Or putting it another way:

I paddle a canoe as a past-time. Beyond the simple mechanics of paddling is the actual dance of the canoe. We create the sheer poetry of motion by making a rhythm or even music with the canoe; literally making the canoe dance. Just as there are no wrong notes in making music (at least in the purest sense), even if we don’t know the exact correct paddle strokes, we can move that canoe, creating our own poetry or dance. As we become more proficient in paddling we can create a more intricate dance. But when we come to add emotion to our paddling, we create a vision. Then that canoe dance almost seems to takes on a life of its own. It is more than just mere paddling…almost as if that canoe becomes an extension of ourselves. Freeing ourselves. And the canoe is the vehicle or instrument to such freedom. The freedom found in making beautiful music together with my canoe.

Any way, paddles up until later....and I look forward to hearing others speak of the places the canoe has taken them....may your canoe always take you places….some unexpected….some unlikely or unusual….but always worth repeating….

Indeed, the physical places my canoes take me are only one part of the story, and are becoming a much less exciting part of that story. In my younger days, canoes transported me partway across Canada, from Sioux Lookout, Ontario to Uranium City, Saskatchewan, and I've paddled on the coast of Maine, and in Alaska. Nowadays, with mortgage & kids, they take me to my local river (many of which were open sewers, and not all that many years ago) and lakes (which were all gravel pits, not very long ago). But that's just the physical part... as mentioned so eloquently above, my canoes transport me, in a metaphysical way, to all the places they've historically taken me, even when I'm only 2 or 3 miles from home. Within seconds of pushing the canoe from the shore, the racket of the rushing traffic on the highway and the railroad fade into oblivion, and I find myself disconnected from the major metropolis and the chaos of life & day job, and re-connected to the natural world, as described. Call it magic, if you will... but my mind gets re-set to a more placid, more natural condition, and it allows me to contend with the unpleasantries of my unnatural environs, regardless of how self-inflicted they are.

Oh, and my wife tells me that I'm much easier to live with when I go canoeing regularly. Now, how could I argue with that? And why would I?

Did you see any wood canoes?
We did run into a few in our travels. There were quite a few home built strippers of various designs and a number of the all-wood French made Peterborough style canoes (can't remember the name of the companies that built those...) that we saw in France, as well as a pristine Peterborough #4 cedar rib that Patrick brought to paddle...wowee! A couple of nice ones in the Netherlands that Mike Schumaker had made, a sprinkling of Chestnuts, a couple of home made cedar canvas ones but not much else that I recall off hand.
It was just cool to see any kind of canoe over there. I was amazed and cheered by it!

Down a ski slope in an OT Camper......:D:D:D:eek:
One run only. It was not fun getting to the top.
Canoes don't steer well downhill. The kayak worked a bit better.

Hah! I did that in a Sportspal. Steered ok, though the paddle was worse for wear, and the load was cumbersome.

Nothing new under the sun! Here is Capt. Blazier in his Rob Roy coming off Mt. Blazier... (American Canoeist, 1887, a satire about Willard Glazier's discovery of the headwaters of the Mississippi, herein "Blazier" (re)discovers Pike's Peak...

Attachments

• Blazier Snow Canoeing.jpg
    Blazier Snow Canoeing.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 277
This week we went to a place called you pee......or U.P. ..... or something like that.

Back