What model do I have?

instructor74

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Ok just a few questions for everyone. I am trying to figure out what kennebec canoe I haved a serial number search done and it gave me the production date of 1924 and that it is a type3A so it appears to be the top trim level? I have it narrowed down to a kennbec, open gunwale, or the torpedo. The question is when measuring width is it from the outside of the gunwale or the inside. I know pictures can be very helpful and I will post them later today. Its hard to do at this time as my boat is 3 hours from my home. So I am trying to get all the info that I can while I am at the boats location. I was very shocked to see what good shape this canoe was in as I stared to take photos of it esp after seeing some of the restorations done by memebers on here. I really want to do this project but it is going to be at least a year until I can start it. So right now I am in the gathering information and doing lots of reading. Any good books on restoring wood and canvas? how about proper storage? Its out of the weather hanging upside down I made sure to level the hanging rack once the boat was on it. Thanks in advance for the help

Benson already answered this question in the serial number search - you have a Kennebec model. See that attached page from the 1924 catalog...

Attachments

• page-05.jpg
    page-05.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 1,061
My bad didnt put 2 and 2 together. saw that he typed kennebec type 3a didnt get that kennebec was also a model line, thanks Dan for the clairification.

Last edited:
As promised earlier today here are some photos.
fall 071r.jpg
The hooks are for the rudder for the sail rigging
fall 069r.jpg
fall 025r.jpg
sail rig mast support added under bow seat
fall 029r.jpg
mounting hardware for stern seat anyone know where I can get this hardware to replace a missing bolt
fall 043r.jpg
Edit these photos were taken with the canoe hanging upside down so photos were rotated to make for easier veiwing

Last edited:
Okay a few more pictures.
As far as I can tell this is the worst of the rot/damage on the canoe this is on the sternfall 036r.jpgfall 030r.jpgfall 027r.jpg

The bow is intact all be it a bit beat up fall 037r.jpg is this really how they attached the canvas to the canoe with what looks like 1/4 round nailed into the gunwalefall 044r.jpg

Photos of the sail rig rudderfall 031r.jpg mast assy I do have the sail and side boards just dont have a picture of themfall 032r.jpgif you look through all the dirt and grime you can seen the keel is attached to every other ribfall 047r.jpg

Attachments

• fall 025r.jpg
    fall 025r.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 220
The mast partner is a later user addition. The rest of the rig may be homemade as well. Kennebec had a fairly distinctive leeboard thwart, and their leeboards were shaped the same as Morris. Post pictures of those and I can tell you more.

The seat hanger looks like a bolt from a T-slot jig, and is a replacement as well, IMO.

The quarter round under the gunwale was added when the canvas started to tear under the gunwale - a commonly seen repair to avoid recanvassing.

Dan

Thanks Dan for the information on the sail rig. I did find out that this was something that my great uncle did add to the canoe at some point. My father told me as a boy he was at the camp when it was being installed. So that dates it to some time in the fifties. Here are the photos that you requested of the leeboard it doesnt look like any of the Kennebec rigs I have seen photos of.
It could be a homemade unit or something he found and addapted to fit.
there are metal brackets that lock the leeboard to the thwart this folds up flat for storage001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPGhinged to swing if an underwater obstruction is hit.005.JPG the entire assy bolts to the center thwart of the canoe. Intresting side note I was given what I was told were copies of an old style paddle with an adj handle/ that was bolted to the paddle that are the same profile as this leeboard.

The leeboard set is nicely done, but almost certainly home-made. At least, they are not like any manufactured leeboard set that I am familiar with.

Dan

The quarter round under the gunwale on the subject canoe may in fact be a repair but my unrestored Kennebec does have quarter round the full length of the canoe. I have seen catalog photos showing it as well. There was a thread about it a while ago as I recall.

Looks like a good project. Always liked the three piece decks.

Jim C.

Good luck removing the nailed outwales. It can be difficult to remove them with old rusty nails in them. As I recall they are nailed from the outside in AND the inside out. It would be much easier to remove screws and have the outwale come off. Not sure what Kennebec was thinking in that regard. It makes re-canvassing difficult.

Our 1935 Kennebec has the 1/4 round under the gunnel the full lenght as well.

Attachments

• kennebec 001.jpg
    kennebec 001.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 245
  • kennebec 003.jpg
    kennebec 003.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 280
Every Kennebec that I have owned, has had the 1/4 round under the gunnel. I think this was added to help hold the canvas, because
the nailed gunnels did not hold very well.
......Dave

The quarter round under the gunwale on the subject canoe may in fact be a repair but my unrestored Kennebec does have quarter round the full length of the canoe. I have seen catalog photos showing it as well. There was a thread about it a while ago as I recall.

Heh, learn something new every day. Or maybe I knew before but forgot - that happens all too often!

I've only ever had two Kennebecs, but neither had this detail...

My Kennebec dd not have a quarter round on it but it had been re-canvased before I bought it.
It did have the crappy nails holding the outside rails.
I came to hate that about it as the nails allowed the rails to spread away from the boat.

I don't think that every Kennebec had the 1/4 round under the outwales, but many did. If my memory serves me correctly, ( which of course is questionable),I've seen some original Kennebecs without it. The catalogs show it in some years and some models , but not in others.
The amazing thing to me is how fast the correct info was posted on the website. I remember the first Kennebec that I worked on with the strip under the outwale. I, as Dan, thought that it was a well-fitted add-on. It wasn't until years later that I found out that it was original.

Back