Anyone help with dating this canoe please?

fredster

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi Everyone,

new to this forum but have enjoyed reading many of the threads before signing up.

My girlfriend's mother has an old Canadian Canoe Company 14ft canoe and I was wondering if any of the great and good on here could help us with some info. Its not in the best shape and could do with renovating. Trouble is here in the UK these canoes are pretty scarce so finding someone with the required knowledge to do a decent job is not easy.

The plate on it reads "Canadian Canoe Company Ltd, Peterboro, Ont." so no problem finding out who made her, but I was hoping someone might be able to give an approximate date of manufacture. I can't find a serial number on the canoe anywhere, despite having a good long search for one. Perhaps someone might be able to suggest where exactly to look? Its been painted at some point on the interior with black paint. Its 28" at the gunwales.

Here's a few pics, there's a load more here: http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l252/fredster_photo/janes canoe/

17082011047.jpg

17082011055.jpg

17082011058.jpg

17082011054-1.jpg

17082011053.jpg

Any info you guys might be able to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks to you both.

Peter, from that link might I assume that our canoe is built before 1928? It looks like at this time the Canadian Canoe Company was bought out by Peterborough Canoe Company, so I would assume that ours with its CCC maker's plate dates before this.

Thanks to you both.

Peter, from that link might I assume that our canoe is built before 1928? It looks like at this time the Canadian Canoe Company was bought out by Peterborough Canoe Company, so I would assume that ours with its CCC maker's plate dates before this.

Not necessarily, as the Canadian Canoe Company was operated as a distinct entity until October 1961. Highly recommended is Ken Brown's just-published book The Canadian Canoe Company & the Early Peterborough Facotries, available from the WCHA Online Store.

Back