Shell Lake Boat Company archives

jimjoe3

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I just finished reading Dan Miller's article in the current issue of Wooden Canoe about the Kennebec Boat and Canoe Co. Dan mentions that records for only a few companies still exist and that one of those companies is the Shell Lake Boat Co. I have a Shell Lake boat and would llike to access the build record for the boat. How should I go about doing that?

Contact Mr. Ripley at Washburn County Historical Society. The have the book with the records. You'll need to google Washburn County Historical Society or go there if you live near them. I found Mr. Ripley very helpful with my canoe. I believe it was Thompsonboatboy who first discovered the record book laying on a table at the museum.

Thank you.

Thanks, Dave. I will contact the Washburn museum.

Contact Mr. Ripley at Washburn County Historical Society. The have the book with the records. You'll need to google Washburn County Historical Society or go there if you live near them. I found Mr. Ripley very helpful with my canoe. I believe it was Thompsonboatboy who first discovered the record book laying on a table at the museum.

I've emailed them but have not been persistent. I've gotten someone who was clueless... should try again I guess! Probably Mr. Ripley is the only one who knows, and like many small museums that rely on volunteers, you may find a volunteer who doesn't know what you're talking about.

Yes

I also got the impression that they were not sure what they had or it's potential significance to wcha-ers and Shell Lake Canoe owners. I sent a hand written letter and told them that I learned that they had the book and could someone look for it and send me the info. My first letter received a reply for Mr. Rod Ripley but not the info, just a thanks for contacting, etc. My second hand written note back to Mr. Ripley must have piqued his interest and he tracked down the info.

Attachments

• 1doc2.JPG
    1doc2.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 391
  • 1doc1.JPG
    1doc1.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 368
Back