time is not on my side!

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
Getting there, but a ways to go.... I block out the canoe after 2 coats of paint/primer. I still get the low spots(little pock marks). They eventually fill with increased coats of paint and a ton of wet sanding. Does anyone use a fairing compound that fills them in or is that a no no?

Petit makes a glazing putty that works on shallow wrinkles.
They used to make a Plastic Surtacer that was commonly used by boatwrights, however I am having trouble finding it.
Marine Primer and sanding with 180 grit seems to be the only option. Epoxy fairing compounds are delicate to work with on a canoe. Fairing can be a B.....
John

Chris --

Bondo makes a glazing and spot putty that I have used with success. It is more a heavy-bodied primer than it is a putty, being a bit thicker than heavy cream -- and it is not the infamous polyester auto-body dent filler. It is sandable after about a half hour or a bit longer, and sands easily, and can be painted over with either oil or water-based paints. It's available from most auto-body places, or from Amazon. It comes in an itty-bitty tube, a medium tube, or
a one-pound tube, which is definitely the most cost effective.
The link to the one pound tube ($10) at Amazon is
http://www.amazon.com/Glazing-Spot-...M8OK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1307980346&sr=8-5

Gluvit and microballoons will give a super smooth finish, IFFFF one knows how to use it. I DON"T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/products/fillers/search.aspx

Either one of the first two on this page would work well and a can of them will last a very long time. They're designed to sand-out easily and very smoothly.

The "Watertight" is a two part epoxy formula. It comes as a can of blue paste and a can of white paste. You grab a little bit of each one with a stick and mix them until you have a light blue paste. I have a couple cans that I bought about 20 years ago and I'm still using them. It is a superb product and though I hate to admit it, it makes a better-sanding, smoother fairing putty than I can mix myself. For a quick patch job on small dings and irregular spots, I've never seen anything better.

The Inetrlux Surfacing putty is a more traditional one-part formula. It dries faster, though like most non-epoxy fillers, it will tend to shrink as it does and may need a second coat. Adhesion and water-resistance won't be quite as good as Watertight, but it would be fine for use under enamel on boats like canoes.

Chris, at least it wont be hard to name your newest project. Might i suggest Bondo Bunny, or perhaps for a more elegant touch The Putty Princess:D
I'm sure it will look great!

Hey Chris,
There is no free lunch. If you're going to use it on the river, you can always paint it flat latex green. The dimples don't show nearly as much.

Back