Old Town Paint Chart for 1930

Ed Moses

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I am trying to find out what the OT color for "Buff" is so that I can attempt to replicate it as closely as possible for painting a 1930 13 foot 50 pound model in its' original color. A search of the forum for OT color charts has only revealed one Benson posted for the 1960's and there is no "Buff" color represented.

Thanx,

Ed

Buff pics

Kathy,

Bet you smiled when you saw the Cocker pup!! Thanx, there are sure a lot of" Buffy" variations in all those pictures of critters and objects.. I looked at Kirby's paint color chart and there are a couple variations, one called Taupe. I'm just going to email the Kirby chart and let the owner pick from that if nothing comes up from our resident OT archive Curator and researcher extraordinaire, Benson Gray. :D:D

Thanx again,

Ed

I don't know of any Old Town paint chip color charts other than the one from the 1960s that you have already found. The Kirby chart that you suggested is a fine place to start. Good luck,

Benson

Buff

George the III or IV(?) at Kirby is a great color resource. If you call him and tell him you need "Buff", I'm guessing you won't be disappointed.

Fitz

1930 OT "Buff" color

Benson and Fitz,

Thanx for your responses and info. I will give Kirby's a call and see what developes. Fitz, headin' for NJ soon & hope to re-plenish the freeezer with venison. Wife advised we are getting down to the last of the venison and moose meat!!!:eek::eek:

Ed

I missed a huge 8 pointer on opening day. If I hadn't laid on the horn and stomped on the brakes I would have bagged him for sure! Missed a bear the same way last year.

Sorry off topic,

Peace,
Jim C.

Benson, do you know what years this color chart was published?

Attachments

• Copy of Old  Town color chart.jpg
    Copy of Old Town color chart.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 650
Benson, do you know what years this color chart was published?

I don't know the exact dates but these are typically found with catalogs from the late 1960s. It includes a zip code (04468) in the address so it can't be from before 1963. The information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_code indicates that these were announced on July 1, 1963. This is also the era when the registered trademark symbol (®) started being used regularly with the Old Town script logo. It also includes the 207 area code in the phone number which was not available nationwide until 1966 as described at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbering_plan so this one is clearly not from the 1930s.

Benson

Last edited:
Speeking of color

Although I have not yet spent much time on this, I will be painting my Old Town Ideal this spring. The original color was Auto Gray. How far of is the Old Town gray from the 60's? I don't want to get it wrong.
peace
Matthew

I will be painting my Old Town Ideal this spring. The original color was Auto Gray. How far of is the Old Town gray from the 60's? I don't want to get it wrong.

There is no way to know so just pick a shade (or color) that you like and don't worry about getting it wrong.

Benson

Back