Morris Stain Formula

Kathryn Klos

squirrel whisperer
Here's the formula Denis devised for staining the interior of a B.N. Morris canoe:

Using Minwax products:

2 parts Red Mahogany 225
2 parts Golden Oak 210B
1 part Special Walnut 224
1 part Sedona Red 222

Untouched Original Interior

First, I'll put up some pictures of an untouched original Morris interior. Denis and I feel the interiors darkened over time, and went for the lighter shade within the darkness... seen mostly on the ribs in these pictures. Could be that the red cedar planking picks up more stain than the white cedar ribs.

This is simply what we are doing, and by-all-means isn't the final word in Morris restoration.

Some Morris canoes have what appears to be an interior that wasn't originally stained to match the mahogany trim... so it seems that some buyers specified a light interior... but most Morris canoes, throughout the time-span of Morris production, have a stained interior.

Kathy

Attachments

• blue Morris.jpg
    blue Morris.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 364
  • blue Morris2.jpg
    blue Morris2.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 356
  • int blue Morris.jpg
    int blue Morris.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 335
  • int blue Morris2.jpg
    int blue Morris2.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
Bright and Shiny New Insides

Here's our Belle Isle Morris (THE original "Molitor Model Canoe") wearing the magical stain formula. The camera's flash may appear to lighten it a bit, and varnish has yet to be applied.

Can you find which ribs were replaced? Cool thing about an interior this dark is that those new ribs blend easily-- the way to tell is to find the ribs without the screw hole for the keel.

This canoe has half-ribs. If anyone reading this has a Morris with half-ribs, please contact me to make sure I've noted that in the database. This Molitor Morris is circa 1917. One of our newly-arrived Morrises has half ribs that are steam-bent and climb halfway up the sides of the canoe (similar to a Gerrish which I believe is in the Smith fleet).

Our canoe with the longer half-ribs is circa 1905-1908. I'm interested in documenting the changes in half-rib design. The shorter ones--- like those in our Morris Molitor--- tend to flatten the floor of the canoe over time and create a ridge on the outside of the canoe... a problem that could be corrected by removing each one and steaming it.... too much of a chore!

Kathy

Attachments

• Belle Isle Int2.JPG
    Belle Isle Int2.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 342
  • Belle Isle int3.JPG
    Belle Isle int3.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 414
  • Belle Isle interior.JPG
    Belle Isle interior.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
nice match

that's a really good match. I've been trying to match a Thompson and a Penn Yan and can just barely get in the ball park. It's an art.

I don't know if I would have been able to spot the new ribs without the tip. Well done - very uniform.

17' morris

My local Home Depot has this stain in 1/2 pints or quarts. How much does it take
to do one 17' canoe? Thanks, Macky

If you can get them all in 1/2 pints I would do that . As I recall it took less than a quart to do several coats on our 18 footer. Don't forget stain goes on easier than varnish or paint. You may have to do some areas more than once.Make sure the stain is dry before re-coating, otherwise you may just rub the first coat off. Any questions email me or call. Phone number is in the chapter heads section under U.P. Mi. chapter.
Good luck, Denis :)

That looks like a good match. Have you put any varnish on it yet? Please post some pictures after the varnish job. The morris I got had a dark look but probably was the varnish tint as it came off with the strip.

Back