Help me Id #103232

ductman

I have not cleaned the varnish off to see if it is a 16' or 17' and I have not measured it yet. I was told it was 17', I will have to check. There are a few problems that I will take care of since I finally brought it back from the camp and it is now in my garage and I will be starting repairs soon. Any info would help. Thanks

ductman

The Old Town canoe with serial number 103232 is a 17 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, Otca model with Western red cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, a keel, outside stems, and a floor rack. It was built between October, 1929 and May, 1930. The original exterior paint color was light green and it was shipped on June 12th, 1930 to Corinth, New York. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Good luck with your repairs,

Benson

Attachments

• 103232.gif
    103232.gif
    34.1 KB · Views: 245
That is the right Canoe

Thanks for the info and quicker than expected response.

Yes that is the canoe, it has been at the cabin since it was new. It was hard to read the name on the scan you attached, I will try to print it to see if it comes out more legible. If you can read it better on your end let me know. The canvas had been removed years ago and I need to replace a couple of pieces. This is probably the first time it has been away from the lake since it was new. I hope to do it justice by doing some maintenance on it.

Ductman

Enlarged it looks like either Rumsey or perhaps Ramsey but it doesn't look like an A so I think it is Rumsey of Cornith NY
Denis

My guess is that it was shipped to W. L Rumsey in Corinth, New York as Denis suggested. This could be the name of the original owner, a dealer who was selling Old Town canoes in that area, the caretaker of a summer house, the owner of a children's holiday camp, a canoe livery, or several other possibilities. There are no other canoes in the 1032xx area which shipped to this location so it probably was not a big customer. I'm sure that you will do fine repairing it. These forums can be a big help if you have any questions. Have fun,

Benson

Attachments

• Rumsey.gif
    Rumsey.gif
    3 KB · Views: 226
Yes, Mr. Rumsey is the person that the cabin was purchased from. Supposedly the canoe came with the cabin in the sale but may have been purchased from Mr. Rumsey after he sold the cabin. Supposedly the lake was a summer retreat camp for kids at the turn of the century. My wifes grandfather purchased the cabin from Mr Rumsey in the late 1920's or early 1930's. My mother in-law and wife both grew up there and enjoyed the canoe alot and are happy that I am going to fix it up for them to use again.

Ductman

Your canoe is "living an interesting canoe-life"... it was "born" at the time of the Great Depression and brought joy to your wife and her mom... and will continue-on, an Ambassador of Summer Fun-- as only a Family Canoe can be. Very cool!

Kathy

Back