Bedding compound and decal questions.

Woodpile

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Trying to get the 50 pounder done before the snow flies, what a thought, have a couple questions for the experts.

1. Did Old Town apply the 1906-1954 decals to both decks?

2. Any tips for applying bedding compound (Dolfinite) to the keel and stem bands to help minimize the mess, was thinking a glue syringe?

Thanks, Don.

I have a metal Old Town tag, placed backwards on the stern deck of a non-Old Town. This is completely wrong.

Any tips for applying bedding compound (Dolfinite) to the keel and stem bands to help minimize the mess, was thinking a glue syringe? Thanks, Don.

Have had the same thoughts, but no answers. Dolfinite is mighty thick! I've wondered if a caulking gun or small grease gun might do the job? I can tell you that I have tried a lot of solvents for cleanup of excess Dolfinite and nothing works better than a cloth wetted with gasoline.
Tom McCloud

For bedding compound, I buy and use empty caulk tubes or the larger syringe sold by Jamestown Distributors. It's easier and more controllable than dipping with a putty knife.
I clean up with regular mineral spirits with no problems

I use blue masking tape on the hull and the keel to minimize the mess from the bedding compound.

I also use the small syringe from Jamestown with Dolphinite in it to fill small voids where compound didn't squeeze out. I cut the tip back to a bit larger diameter, as pushing the compound out in the original tip size is tough. The compound is easier to push through the syringe if you hold it in your hand or warm it up or in hot water for 10 minutes. These syringes are cheap and also allow you to squeeze glue and epoxy to tight places.

Last edited:
Thank you Benson for the decal info and thank you all for the bedding compound tips, the consensus is obvious, great minds think alike.

Back