cracked ribs

ctharker

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi, folks. My wife and I have come to own the Penn Yan canoe which belonged to her grandparents and we'd like to restore it. I think it was built in 1948, based on it's serial number: "FX 48132". The canvas was badly torn in some places so we've removed that, following instructions in "The Wood & Canvas Canoe". We've begun cleaning up the varnish and, in the process, have found four ribs with cracks. We don't know how serious they are and we're hoping one of you can advise us. Here's a photo:

Cracked canoe ribs.jpg

I'll admit that, if the ribs need to be replaced, I'm afraid the job will be beyond us. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

- Chris

I'm seeing two cracks in a couple of those ribs. You've got the canvas off so it's easy to backsplice those cracks, but with two cracks it would really be best to replace the rib. Cutting, bending and installing ribs is not that big of a deal, but will take some time. If you carefully pull tacks you can use the old rib as a template. Get some white cedar, plane to thickness and trim to shape, soak for a few days and if you don't have a steam box, pour boiling water over it then bend over the outside of the hull 2 ribs aft of where you intend to install. Clamp in place to dry, install the next day. You can do it! Tom McCloud

Or.
If the hull is not deformed where the cracked ribs are I would not replace or repair them at all. I believe a few cracked ribs that are held securely in place by the original planking and fasteners are probably stronger than any repairs other than a rib replacement, and I prefer keeping the original. When I was working on my 1910 double gunwale OT I was trying to keep as much of the original wood as possible so I pulled out what looked like a badly cracked rib to do a backside repair because I don't like cutting through the planking to get to it. I think you lose more structural integrity doing that than you gain. When I got the rib out I tried flexing the rib and could barely get the crack to open up at all. I realized that cutting a chunk of wood out of the back and replacing it with anything would be weaker than it was as is, so I just reinstalled as it was. Unless you are going to be running white water or packing heavy loads I wouldn't worry about it at all. Recanvas and get her back in use as fast as possible. Here is another thought, after I did a huge restoration on a canoe, a part of which was replacing 20 ribs, I took it to Quetico and someone (I'm not saying who) Dropped it and broke a rib. Oh well, no guarantees,I fixed it to use, not to look at. Just one amateur's opinion.

Attachments

• DSC_0887.jpg
    DSC_0887.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 281
Thanks to both Tom and Craig for your info and opinions. We did not see any visible deformation of the hull and, when I pushed on it from the outside, it did not seem to flex any more or less than other areas of similar curvature and width. I'll do a bit more pushing and flexing and then decide or ask you more questions. We will not be taking this boat in white water and plan to use it primarily on relatively small mountain lakes.

Back