sassafras paddles

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
I have been playing around with some different handle styles, also figuring out if the copper tips are feasible. I recessed them into the tip of the paddle so they are flush with the surface, that takes the most time but I am getting quicker. I don't care how much time I have in a paddle I am going to use them and lets face it, at some point I am going to jam the tip into the bottom or something else. I am very happy with this solution for a single board all wood paddle. The one I have been using for a couple years is holding up great and needs no tip maintenance. Check out the grain pattern on the blade of the one just above the painted one, got that one perfect. I'll be bringing these and maybe more to assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.jpg
    IMG_0491.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 601
Superb job Craig! Wondeful grain patterns and workmanship. I think a lot of people will be licking your paddles at the assembly this year.

By the way, have you posted on your technique for the copper tip before? Looks very inventive.

Do you sell your paddles? I would be interested in the paddle at the top in the last picture.

Superb job Craig! Wondeful grain patterns and workmanship. I think a lot of people will be licking your paddles at the assembly this year.

By the way, have you posted on your technique for the copper tip before? Looks very inventive.

Thanks Murat, Here is a link to a thread about the copper tip, although maybe a couple refinements since then.
http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?8505-Copper-Tip

Last edited:
Do you sell your paddles? I would be interested in the paddle at the top in the last picture.
probably just going to do some on commission. talk to me at assembly if you are going. I won't be able to take orders till then. thanks for your interest.

Back