Morris outside gunwales

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
I could use a little expert advise on my Morris restoration project. I am at the point where I am reattaching the top cap and outside gunwale to my closed gunwale Morris #4027. Up to this point I have been trying to keep as much of the original wood work and fasteners as possible. During some initial repairs and re canvasing, I saved all the nails that held the top cap and outer gunwale in place. After a hundred years or so some of the nails have broken or are bent beyond reuse. I have secured the top cap which is most visible with the original nails and have only enough nails left to do about 60% of the outer gunwale installation. The question I have is should I use as much original nails as possible and finish with new fasteners or should I just go with all new ones? Is there a source for "old style nails" or what is a good new alternative? Bronze ring nails, escutcheon pins, etc? Any advise from all the Morris fans would be appreciated. Thanks

Is there a source for "old style nails" or what is a good new alternative? Bronze ring nails, escutcheon pins, etc? Any advise from all the Morris fans would be appreciated. Thanks

Today's brass escutcheon pins are equivalent to what Morris used. Don't have them in front of me now to give you the size, but they are readily available in same size as original from Jamestown Distributors and elsewhere.

Today's brass escutcheon pins are equivalent to what Morris used. Don't have them in front of me now to give you the size, but they are readily available in same size as original from Jamestown Distributors and elsewhere.
. The nails I have used have flat heads and I will just file down the rounded head of the pins and they should match perfectly. Thanks for the advise and source!

Ticonderoga,

I have restored a 16' Morris, 1904, s/n 2766 and am currently working on a 15 footer, s/n 3649. These two Morrises dating 1904 and 1906 respectively are close to your s/n 4027 (1906). Both had original 1" round head escutcheon pins in the rail caps. I also have an 18 footer that also has round headed pins. The # 16 - 1" brass pins are what you need to order from Jamestown if you have not done so already. The round headed pins sure make a nice looking finish and are obviously original . It is odd that yours had flat headed pins. Might they have been replacements? My advice is go complete with the new round headed # 16 brass escutcheon pins . You will be glad you did.

Ed

We have 6 Morris canoes, 4 of which are closed gunwale. All of those four have escutcheon pins in the top and side caps. I suspect that your flat ones are either replacements or the result of having been sanded down at some point, perhaps during a refinishing project.

I get my brass escutchon pins from Standard Fastenings in New Bedford MA. You will if dealing with them, have to buy in box quantities. I can sell you some if you like, and if you provide a sample to match I should be able to. In anycase don't reuse the old ones, replace them The finished boat will look much better. Al Bratton, Woodstrip Watercraft Co.

Last edited:
Back