photo 1.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 480
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 441
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 449
Arnold had a small shop in Waltham across Woerd Avenue from the Waltham Canoe Co. and right on the Charles River. It was near the Waltham Watch Factory. Although Arnold was apparently a prolific builder, and many canoes seem to be attributed to him, your canoe is one of very, very few I have seen with a builder's tag. It would be nice if you could share more photos and document any serial numbers and formats etc.

If you search on "Arnold" or "Charles River" you will find more info on this Forum.
Fitz

Thank you Fitz. Can't find any numbers on it. What do you mean by formats.
I will pull it outside and take some detail picture in the next day or two. I see that you are locared in Concord Mass. The canoe is here in Hebron, NH 1hour north of Concord, NH
I your interested........ray

There are also two Waltham catalogs on the Historic Wood Canoe and Boat Company Catalog Collection at http://store.wcha.org/The-Historic-...pany-Catalog-Collection-Version-2-CD-ROM.html if you want more background. I would be interested in seeing some good pictures of the planking pattern, especially on the ends since this may provide another way to identify some of these Charles River area canoes that don't have tags. The way that the end of the inside stem is finished on the bottom of the canoe can be another area of interest. Your previous three pictures of this canoe are very small (320x240 pixels) which doesn't provide much detail. Something in the 1280x1024 to 1920x1080 range would be better. It would also be interesting to know if there are any Robertson stamps on the top sides of the thwarts along the gunwales. Thanks,

Benson

Biff,
As Benson and Fitz say...more and larger photos will help. I'll bet there is a serial number on the stems. Reach under the deck and take a photo. The tag is different than on a couple Arnolds I have. The deck also looks fairly flat..so I'm thinking it might be an earlier Arnold. Are the decks 4ft? Look forward to seeing more photos.

Sorry to all. I have been busy, getting ready for winter. Will still and get more info on this boat to you all.
This canoe is available. Of course I would like to do the restoration work on it. Paddle Fancy, Hebron, NH
Or the right $$ could take it elsewhere...biff

The serial numbers are located on the stem under the decks. My dad and I have an Arnold (with Builder's nameplate) and that's where we found the numbers. I believe ours is a 4 digit number. I would agree that yours looks to be an earlier model. Nice Canoe!

Back