Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Ya gotta see this - making a canoe

Discussion in 'Birchbarks, Dugouts and Primitive Craft' started by Roger Young, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Roger Young

Roger Young display sample collector

Siberian natives making a dugout from local aspen. Love the specialized tools -axes and adzes - and particularly the 'critics' from amongst the farm population who observe the whole process. Even has a few large birds caught for 'Thanksgiving dinner'. It will give your day a 'lift'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4oCAcIspvc&feature=feedu

Roger

2. woodcanoenut

woodcanoenut 1914 Old Town Charles River

Very interesting! How he strechted the wood to make the canoe wider was amazing

3. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Roger,
    dont know how you found that but it was great!:cool:

4. OP
    OP
    Roger Young

Andre;
    I have a good friend who makes knives, axes, tomahawks, etc., along with great leather pouches and cases. He spotted this Youtube video on a 'blade forum' that he frequents, and passed it along to me. I got such a kick out of watching that I felt our canoe friends would enjoy, too. It really is an excellent resume of all the steps traditionally used by natives to make a dugout, right down to the tiny pegs to ensure a uniform thickness to the hull, then steaming it open to give greater width and stability. Great film-making, as approved by local livestock. Great humour, too. I'm pleased that you guys enjoyed as much as I did.
    Roger

5. Dave Wermuth

Dave Wermuth Who hid my paddle?

The thing about the Bovine's ilk.
    One end moo, the other, milk.

6. OP
    OP
    Roger Young

... and for a truly remarkable and interesting comparison, see the short film "The Pirogue Maker", a documentary on perhaps the last pirogue made in Louisiana.

http://www.folkstreams.net/film,188