Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

wood canoe

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by Joanne25, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Joanne25

Joanne25 Curious about Wooden Canoes

Hi,
    Can anyone help me identify this old canoe that I have,I do not see a serial number on it,thanks
    Joanne

Attached Files:

2. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.

Lovely little launch, but its not a canoe. Where is it located? that may help establish a possible builder

3. Kathryn Klos

Kathryn Klos squirrel whisperer

Looks very nice. I (who know next to nothing about wooden boats except for what I've read in these forums) believe it has a "wineglass" transom, or end. It appears to be "clinker built", with laps of wood on the sides. And I love those ribs. Nice boat. Someone here will know more about it and perhaps guess at its age. Knowing where it has spent its life helps too.

Kathy

4. OP
    OP
    Joanne25

Thank you all for your quick responses. The boat is 21 ft. long. Dan miller couldn't say for sure who built it but he said he has a photo of a similar one that was built by J.H Rushton, Inc. in Canton, NY.

5. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

Hi Joanne,

From the second batch of photos you sent, I can see the ribs are flat, which are not a Rushton feature. Rushton ribs would be half-round. It would probably be a another builder in the early 1900s.

Attached is a photo of a similar Rushton inboard that will show you what yours may have looked similar to originally.

Dan

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    Joanne25

IMGP0001.jpg IMGP0001.jpg

Attached Files: