Wood and canvas rowing canoes?

Overland

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm considering one that is 16' long with a 46" beam. How much do they weigh? And how are they for rowing? Would it be better just to look for a plank on frame rowing skiff?

Yes, I have rowed a number of canoes and other small boats. The Old Town square stern with sponsons listed at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/dimens-2.gif is 16 feet long, 47 inches wide, and weighed 180 pounds. These are fine for rowing but the oar locks are a bit close together for optimum performance. Several units are available to adapt an ordinary canoe for rowing. These usually have riggers to extend the oarlocks past the gunwales and sliding seat options are also common. Canoes and other boats like this are really personal so it's difficult to make general recommendations about them. My usual suggestion is to go try out a several different options to see what feels best to you. It is said that you don't get in and out of small boats like this, you 'wear' them. The one that fits and feels good to me may not be the same one that fits and feels good to you. Good luck,

Benson

Back