Wolverine by Gil Cramer.....

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
Picked up what my customer said is a Wolverine today, in da UP. Very similar to a Penn Yan Cartopper.
Needs gunwale replacement from neglect.
The customer told me that GIL CRAMER did the original restoration over 20 years ago!
There were hemp ropes attached to the outwales and new seat rails. Nice job Gil!
Do you remember it??
Dave

Time really flies when you are having fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I remember correctly, this boat had the original Wolverine Wagemaker decal on it. I have only seen a few of these Penn Yan look-alikes. The concave outwales with rope bumper duplicated the originals. I don't remember how the ropes ended on the transom. Old Town covered the rope ends with leather tacked to the transom, maybe Wagemaker did ,too.

No Wolverine decal, Gil.
You bound the rope ends with wire and nailed them into the concave outwales.
Over time, some rot developed in the outwales and the whole gunwale assembly seems kinda loose and flimsy.
I suggested that we do away with the ropes and make full outwales to tighten everything up. They were good with that.
Other than new outwales, and a couple little/neglect repair issues, all is well with your restorarion is still standing proud!

Back