Wish that I'd had a pair of these years ago

Douglas Ingram

Red River Canoe & Paddle
The first time that I saw these in Princess Auto, I knew that they were exactly what I'd been wanting for years. I'm not sure what the original intended purpose is, probably something to do with drywalling.

Its an extending pole with a squeeze handle at one end the sort that you'd find on a caulking gun. Squeeze the handle and the pole expands. Put it in the canoe while you're canvassing...and well it doesn't take a genius to figure out the benefits.

I picked mine up about a year ago and they work great.

Darn, I hit submit when I tried to hit the manage attachment button.

Here is the photo:

Attachments

• January 26, 2009 010.jpg
    January 26, 2009 010.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 575
It depends whether we want to stand on our feet or on our heads to staple the canvas. I do it like Doug does. It works fine either way. :)

Canvas_19.jpg

I didn't want to turn this into a debate about which side of the canoe to place up while canvassing.

I like to work with the open side up so that I can place my stuff inside the canoe and have it at hand when needed. My shop is set up to canvas with either side up, and have done it both ways. I go open side down for the big boats, but the ones that I can lift into the canvas sling, I do them open side up.

These poles cost me about $10 each, are sturdy, have nice big "feet" at either end, and very easily I can get them set to the correct pressure with just tone hand using the squeeze handle.

Back