White stem covers

Gil Cramer

The wooden canoe Shop, Inc.
Anybody have a pair of White stem covers they would be willing to part with? . Anybody fabricating new ones? About when did White stop bevelling planking?
Thanks ,
Gil

I believe that Jerry Stelmok at Island Falls Canoe has a device for making the White style stem bands. See https://www.islandfallscanoe.com/contact-us.aspx for his contact information. The White catalogs into the late 1940s featured beveled planking and the wide stem bands as shown below.

Benson

Outside.jpg

I have a set. Not sure how good they are. I’ll check them out.
I recall discussing on whether to put them back on the canoe with the customer. It was decided that it wasn’t a good idea to put them back on and add 200 nail holes into the stems. No matter how well you bed it, the potential for water to get in was pretty good at some point.. So we left them off.

Thanks for the responses. this was a Boy Scout canoe. Dave, how was the canvassed overlapped at the stem?

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question about these as well. How do you get them off without destroying things?

Gil, As I recall the one I did was a scout canoe as well. No seats.
I don’t remember anything different about canvas overlapping on the stems. Just did what I normally do.

Back