White Cedar in Michigan?

Ron Carter

WCHA # 7925
There was a thread some time ago about obtaining white cedar in cants or planks. I'm needing about 200 board feet to be resawn into 1/2 and 3/8 planking stock for a small launch I'm building. Anyone have current information or do I have to start the quest from scratch?
Ron

Ron,

In further investigation at www.woodfinder.com you will find the Jackson Brothers Lumber Company in Whitmore, MI/734-449-2703; Variety Farms Sawmill in Hartland, MI/810-632-2092 and Barn Door Lumber Company in Hemlock, MI/800-894-7966.

Hope this helps and let us know of your experiences with any of these companies as there are a few of us in the area that may need some White Cedar in the future.

Ric Altfather

Ric,
Thanks for the references. Fingerle was the one I couldn't remember from the prior post. Brown Lumber in Traverse City will special order either red or white cedar. The problem is the grade is discussable and the pricing is high enough that I might as well fire up the truck and head for the U.P. and buy some cants from one of the mills up there. Thick & Thin in Cedar, MI is the supplier to Brown in T.C. With the ability to resaw I might as well eliminate the middle man.
Ron

Back