White cedar in Michigan?

Chris
I'm working on it. I've contacted a couple of mills here in the U.P. and we'll see where that goes. I you wish I'll keep you posted.
Denis

Chris,
I have make contact with a fella about thirty miles from me that says he will have about 1500 bd ft of clear Cedar from four to six inches wide. He will set it aside as he is edging his boards. I am going to call him tonight and ask that he not edge the clear stuff. He told me that the charge would be $1.25 a bd ft. He may want to edge them so he can get some other boards out of what he's got. This is rough cut 1 inch. I'll keep you updated.
Denis

good price

That is a very good price for clear white cedar. It is always a treasure hunt finding the stuff. I'd buy 400 bd and travel to get it at that price. My source is dbl that price. Another option is to get to know the Amish community, so I am told. Often times a wood cutter will set aside the clear stuff for you. Let me know if that lead pans out.
Regards, Dave.

Dave,
Just have to wait to see if he pans out - as you said. Will continue to seek sources of various woods here in the U.P. He said he has Cherry to but only 8 footers.
Denis :eek:

Not having much luck finding long Oak or Ash up here but will keep looking. However, downstate in the Highland -Milford area there is the Armstrong Mill. I have talked with Dennis Armstrong and they have 16 foot Ash, Cherry and Maple. They also have 18 foot true Mahogany. I did not get prices. Last fall I bought from them a 17 foot 1x6 Mahogany for $93. Their phone number is: 248-887 1037. Please mention to Dennis that you got the information from me.
Denis

yes

I have gotton wood from them. I like them. they had cypress once and it worked well. their ash as I recall was a good price.. I would recommend them. Let me know about the cedar. I'll set aside some money. there is a couple at the Soo, canadian side with some. Nice folks don't recall the name right off but they have some. Not sure how much.

Hey Chris

I just saw that Gil is offerring nwc and will bring it to the `Quiet water symposium. 2x6x8 $25.00 not bad. Check out the classifieds, he has other stuff too. Like planking, tacks, gunnells. etc.

Dave,
That would be Ron and Henriette Pellinen -Black Beaver Canoes. E-mail address is hr.pellinen@sympatico.ca - I just spoke with Ron a few days ago. He does not have any gunnel stock for sale at this time but I believe he does have Cedar. They have joined our U.P. Chapter. Nice fella.
Denis

yes,

that's them all right. nice folks. Saw my wife and I in the paper and sent us a nice letter.. If you need some long ash, i know a guy. let me know. Not alot but long five and six quarter.. Sorry if I hijacked the thread.

There is a really nice older gentleman who does custom sawing in Allegan, Michigan. He's done lots of stuff for wooden schooners and runabouts. The Maritime Museum in South Haven has used his wood several times. His name is Louis Hitchcock, I don't have his phone # handy. He will custom cut about anything to 28' long. With the Emerald Ash Borer on the east side of the state White Ash prices are about as low as I've seen them.

Brian

Brian
Thanks for the info. If you come up with a number please let us know.
Dave,
I think that sharing this information is a good thing. Since some of this stuff is getting harder to find.
Denis

update on Armstrong Mill

I got an e-mail from Dennis Armstrong when I got back from Canoecopiea. He says that they just got in Mahogany in 23 to 25 foot lengths. His e-mail is: darm4858@yahoo.com , please mention that you heard it from me if you contact him. They have many other species too. They are in Highland in the l p not too far from Pontiac.
I'm still working on the Cedar sources in the U.P.
Denis

Back