Which builder?

The sheer clamp implies south of the border.

Compare this canoe with the (for example) catalog page attached, from the Spalding St. Lawrence Boat Company, which was located in Ogdensburg.

Attachments

• Spalding page-04.jpg
    Spalding page-04.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 460
Yes, I see what you are referring to and your comment makes sense. 18 miles from Canton, 3/4 of a mile from Ontario...it all blends. What are the production dates for Spalding?

What are the production dates for Spalding?

Company began as A. Bain & Co. in Clayton. It's succession is as follows:

A. Bain & Co., Clayton - 1878-1888
St. Lawrence River Skiff, Canoe & Steam Launch Co., Clayton - 1888-1895
Spalding St. Lawrence Boat Co., Ogdensburg - 1895-1905
Leyare Boat Works, Ogdensburg - 1905-1913
(Hiatus while Joseph Leyare was in Buffalo building airplanes with Glen Curtis)
St. Lawrence Boat Works, Ogdensburg - 1917-? (among other canoes and boats, was building on Rushton IG molds).

Company began as A. Bain & Co. in Clayton. It's succession is as follows:

A. Bain & Co., Clayton - 1878-1888
St. Lawrence River Skiff, Canoe & Steam Launch Co., Clayton - 1888-1895
Spalding St. Lawrence Boat Co., Ogdensburg - 1895-1905
Leyare Boat Works, Ogdensburg - 1905-1913
(Hiatus while Joseph Leyare was in Buffalo building airplanes with Glen Curtis)
St. Lawrence Boat Works, Ogdensburg - 1917-? (among other canoes and boats, was building on Rushton IG molds).

Interesting...subject matter expert has been found!!

Did you ever see the 23 foot St. Lawrence River Skiff I had behind my fathers barn?
That was a boat house find on a Rideau Island.

Dan,

I noticed the plank was not tapered on the canoe in the ad here on the site and it appears the same in the picture from the catalog you posted. Am I seeing it correctly?

Paul

Paul, it does appear that way. Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like the difference in girth was made up with a combination of football-shaped garboards and a sheerstrake that flares at the stems.

MGC, hard not to become a little familiar with River builders, living and working in their old stomping grounds. No, never did see your skiff.

Back