What Do I Have

Ervin mackrell

I recently got what appears to b a canoe it has 10 pieces 5 per side and there is latches that connect it together and buttons along side for possible cover for it at one end piece there are 4 stars stamped on it and at other end there are 3 stars any help would b appreciated

Your description matches that of a Linkanoe, built by Link Aviation Devices at Gananoque, Ontario, Canada, ~1945-6. An article about the Linkanoe will be found in Wooden Canoe magazine, issue 160, August 2010, which can be ordered on-line from the WCHA store. Tom McCloud

Thanks for replies I found it in a barn I bought at foreclosure auction the barn is packed so I hope to find more parts and hopefully the canvas to it will get some pics soon as I can there's also a very large wooden boat covered with a tarp but will take some time to get it out
Thanks again

To make a complete Linkanoe you need to find 2 decks which should have the Linkanoe decal on them, two seats, and one center thwart. After 70 years I have yet to see an original Linkanoe 'boot', the olive-drab canvas outer skin for the canoe, that was usable. They tend to deteriorate along the keel line. However, the old skin can serve as a pattern for construction of a new boot. The home base of Link Aviation Devices was Binghamton, NY, and a number of Linkanoes have turned up in that vicinity. Attached photo shows my Linkanoe being paddled on a Florida stream. Tom McCloud B0001246crop.jpg

Back