WCHA Annual Assembly 2021: Update and contingency plan

Michael Grace

Lifetime Member
The WCHA Annual Assembly, normally held in July each year, is a gathering of wooden canoe owners, builders and admirers from all over the world. The 2021 Assembly is scheduled to occur from July 13 – 18 at Paul Smith’s College in Paul Smiths, NY, in the heart of the beautiful Adirondack region. Attendees enjoy perennial favorites such as the tour of notable canoes on the Green, construction workshops and demonstrations, children’s program, annual membership meeting, WCHA Store, Raffle & Auction, and the Paddle-by and Salute. We have an exciting line-up of programs waiting in the wings if we are able to gather safely for the Assembly this year.

CONTINGENCY PLAN: Because of the uncertainty still posed by the pandemic, a contingency plan is being developed for the first-ever Virtual Assembly. If the in-person Assembly cannot be held safely as planned, members around the globe will be offered a variety of fun and educational opportunities through an online forum. Webinars should include tours of workshops and canoe collections, presentations on exciting trips and destinations, techniques related to canoe building and restoration, camp cookery and more. If we cannot safely hold the Assembly this July, the planned theme of “Solo Canoes, featuring Tom MacKenzie” would be pushed back another year, so that we can enjoy the celebration of these canoes when we are all together again. Stay tuned to the WCHA’s website and social media forums for updates and watch for information in the Spring 2021 issue of the Wooden Canoe Journal, which will be mailed in mid-May. The WCHA's Board of Directors is planning to make the final decision about the Assembly in early April. For more information, contact Rob Stevens, Annual Assembly Program Coordinator (robstevens7777@gmail.com), or Executive Director Annie Burke (annie@wcha.org; 603-323-8992).

2021 poster.jpg

Michael, if you end up going down the "Contingency" route do give me a shout and I can put something together from the UK to share with an audience.

We will not be able to travel this year so the earliest I can be your side of the Atlantic is 2022

Kind regards,

Keep well, keep safe and get jabbed!

Nick

Thank you Nick. I will certainly reach out. to

To anyone else with program ideas, please feel free to contact Assembly Coordinator Rob Stevens or me (or any other Board member). We are all in this together and so program and presentation ideas are welcome from anyone and everyone. Sometimes excellent presentations develop from even the smallest kernel of an idea.

Michael

Back