Walter Walker's hammer

Hummy

Canoe Dude
As I read and research in books and this site, I've seen several references to a particular hammer that Walter Walker used, which was "cast for the Peterborough Canoe Company". I assume the original is in possession of his family or a museum. I am wondering is there more than one or are working replicas available?

Here is a photo (with an excerpt) showing Walter's hammer on display at the Canadian Canoe Museum.

I use old cobbler's hammers, which are quite similar.

Attachments

• Walter Walker CCM Display.jpg
    Walter Walker CCM Display.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 525
  • walters hammer.jpg
    walters hammer.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 564
Neat! How cool would it be if they or someone was able to manufacture a small run of signature or special edition replicas? A nice tool to carry on a small bit of heritage in the wooden canoe world...

Modified tack hammer

Here are three old leather worker's hammers. Note that the striking face on the two on the left are tilted down. A new handle with the top angled back slightly brings the face parallel to the handle and is close to the look of Walter Walker's hammer. Filing an angled slot in the back makes it possible to pull tacks. This modified hammer is used regularly for planking and leaves very broad shallow hammer tracks or no tracks at all.

R.C.

Attachments

• Copy of P1010003.JPG
    Copy of P1010003.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 534
  • P1012010.JPG
    P1012010.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
Back