virus silver lining

Miquel

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello

I was on the forum about 2 years ago getting some advice on a canoe id rescued, everyone was very helpful and generous with the advice. Ive finally gottena round to rounding the bend with this thing and thought Id come here and just say thanks again for the advice and your time back in the day there, and share some photos.
the work went pretty well, though it got more involved pretty much right off the bat. then I had to pause to remodel my bathroom, then I got a new job, then we moved across the country...anyway, now Ive stopped working for a few weeks(or months?) which has allowed me a little time to bring this thing home. had to take quite a few steps backwards to repair some damage from the mover(less than I wouldve guessed they would do)
So the final account of work done is; new stem at on one end, new stem tip on the other, both decks replaced, all four stem tips replaced to about 18", about 12 new ribs, and a little new planking. was able to salvage the thwarts with a little creative epoxy and a couple dutchmen. the seat frames were solid but the dowels holding them all together were like powder, Ill be able to put those back together and recane, make a new keel, and do some new outwhales.
I was hoping to do Mahogany outwhales(the only real big departure from how it was setup originally) but the more im thinking about trying to either get air dried stock, or deal with bending what i can find. Im now thinking of trying to find something more domestic, but still good, maybe some Black Locust or something like that, well see. maybe just boring old oak- any great ideas will be considered.
The canoe is far from perfect and many mistakes were made, and lessons learned for the next one. but overall im super stoked about it and cant wait to get the paint and hardware on. Im a process guy, so ive got lots of pictures and love to talk details if anyone cares to hear.
anyways thanks again and maybe well see you at a meetup or a wooden boat show out here- I just joined the WCHA, I was surprised to find a rep for the chapter out at the wooden boat show in Port Townsend when we went last year.

Attachments

• 63C4A880-0F9C-4D24-9F31-972C82EB9FD5.JPG
    63C4A880-0F9C-4D24-9F31-972C82EB9FD5.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_2629.JPG
    IMG_2629.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_2680.JPG
    IMG_2680.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_8290.jpg
    IMG_8290.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_8319.jpg
    IMG_8319.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_8326.jpg
    IMG_8326.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_8333.jpg
    IMG_8333.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_8338.jpg
    IMG_8338.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_8346.jpg
    IMG_8346.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_8350.jpg
    IMG_8350.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 365
Welcome, Miguel.
WCHA members are pretty well everywhere, including Texas and some of the other desert states.

Nice work! It will feel great to paddle it knowing you’ve done all that work. Welcome to WCHA.

thanks Nick, yes indeed it will. Rob it does seem that way eh? for some reason i had the idea that this was a New England and Great Lakes region thing. clearly i was wrong

Back