Unknown Canadian Canoe - Ideas?

ndevlin

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello Everyone!

I have come across a canoe with quite lovely lines and an interesting family history, but that my (admittedly amateur) identification skills cannot place. Any thoughts from those more expert would be very welcome!

The story: the canoe belonged to the grandfather of a woman who is now in her 60s. It was purchased no later than the 1940s, and likely no earlier than the 1920s, when the family cottage property (in Canada) was acquired. It has been in the family ever since.

The lines are graceful and the wood in remarkable shape. It is a few inches under 16' at its very longest, and just under 35" outside at the centres, 12" deep. The boat has a really graceful line.

The planks are wide - 5" in most places, and look to have a nice vertical grain. The ribs are 2 3/8s and beveled both sides.

Here's the strange thing- the spacing. They are 1" apart. The cant ribs are full size, and neatly tapered at the deck, but, are spaced strangely - up to a 4" gap to the last one.

The twart is thin and finely made. The seats are crude, and look not to fit the boat.

The decks are heart-shaped, but not under-cut to the degree and with the fineness of old Chestnuts. They also have varnish remnants (as do the gunwhales) when the boat of the boat has almost none - perhaps a redo?

The shearline sweeps up somewhat - and is quite elegant.

The stems are thin and without and markings at all.

Pictures are attached - detectives are welcome.

I may keep her just because of the lovely shape, but am wondering whether she has a history worthy of a closer restoration.

Cheers and thanks!

- Nick.

Attachments

• Halls Lake Canoe-0947.jpg
    Halls Lake Canoe-0947.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 503
  • Halls Lake Canoe-0952.jpg
    Halls Lake Canoe-0952.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 463
  • Halls Lake Canoe-0949.jpg
    Halls Lake Canoe-0949.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 436
  • Halls Lake Canoe-0948.jpg
    Halls Lake Canoe-0948.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 453
  • Halls Lake Canoe-0946.jpg
    Halls Lake Canoe-0946.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 460
  • Halls Lake Canoe-0943.jpg
    Halls Lake Canoe-0943.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:
Here are a few more views.

Attachments

• Halls Lake Canoe-0944.jpg
    Halls Lake Canoe-0944.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 404
  • Halls Lake Canoe-0940.jpg
    Halls Lake Canoe-0940.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 390
  • Halls Lake Canoe-0942.jpg
    Halls Lake Canoe-0942.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 385
  • Halls Lake Canoe-0939.jpg
    Halls Lake Canoe-0939.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 386
  • Halls Lake Canoe-0936.jpg
    Halls Lake Canoe-0936.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 390
I vote Chezznut...
Deck, ribs close together, Babiche seats, thwart carriage bolts, say Chestnut to me.
The stem band looks aluminum. They could have been replaced at some time.
If they are original, you canoe most certainly is not as old as 20's or 30's.
Chestnut sometimes stamped model numbers on the stems, I think.
Could give a better clue if numbers are there.

That looks a lot like my 16' Guide Special. It also has 1" spacing, although some are .5" and some are a bit more that 1". Mine are a little tighter at the end, but I'm sure they were all different. 35" might be a little wider too, but close. Good chance that's what it is.
There were at least 4 different forms over the years for the cruisers, I'm guessing yours might be the '22 to '67 version.
Let's see what others think...

I just noticed it doesn't have the usual cant ribs, that's odd.

Last edited:
I agree... the ends are a little unusual, and the planking is wide at 5". 4 and 3 were common. But the sheer and stem curve is very close. The thwart looks like the early style, but the seats are are not the standard ones. And the there should be 2 thwarts on a 16', with one in the center. Check the inwales for holes. Since the stem bands aren't brass, it's likely been recanvased and possibly updated. Not sure which deck is shown, but there should be a painter ring (or hole for one) on the bow. Typically maple on the earlier ones, but could be oak. If the decks are original, the flat style puts them a little later (they do seem a little short/wide).
Interesting. I'm not convinced either way, as there were variations of some specs from the factory. Maybe another builders period copy/version of a special?

Thanks for chiming in! To answer a couple of the Qs: no painter ring hole on either deck. Decks are oak. Both stems have a patch on the inside, leading me to think the steam bands are not original. No holes for a second thwart.....

Maybe a very early Huron?

Post fire Chestnuts had curved decks, not heart shaped. My Chestnut Fox, pegged around the late 60's had alum stem bands. It has features of a bunch of different boats. The inwale taper looks like Tremblay, the seats like a Huron, has the Chestnut sheer sweep at the ends. Non tapered ribs, fairly tight spacing. Maybe a Canadian? My Canadian has tapered ribs and heart shaped decks, but is older, late 30's but all the trim is oak, decks, thwarts etc.

Pop a stem band off and get pics of the stem joint, might help. Seat hangers look like what?

I have a post fire cruiser with heart shaped decks (flat, oak), and an early one with thumbnail (rounded, maple), so I think both were available. But you may be right, if there are splices on the stems, then the ends may have been reconfigured. No painter ring and one thwart is un-chestnutty. The first ribs do seem to be slightly thinner at the top, as the earlier boats were, but there's another pair missing.
I like your car in the background, nice one :) Works well for carrying.

Attachments

• ChestnutOlda.jpg
    ChestnutOlda.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 360
Back