Unidentified Hanging Object

mccloud

"Tiger Rag" back on the tidal Potomac
In Memoriam
After running the Yough today some of adjourned to the Falls City restaurant and bar in Ohiopyle, PA for supper. Hanging in this establishment are 3 wooden canoes, one a Chestnut, one a lapstrake-built, but the third got my interest. Heart shaped decks, two thin boards inboard from those decks on both ends ( deck supports??), wide, heavy thwarts, ribs not pocketed, and most interesting was the planking (see attachment). The kingplank is a full 7 or 8 inches wide! THe waitress did not know the builder. The only way to get a better look would be with a stepladder. Any guesses? Tom McCloud

Attachments

• 20151024_172828.jpg
    20151024_172828.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
I go into 'paddler bars' where folks come in straight off the river with muddy booties, mouldy wetsuits and smelly polypro, because I belong there, but I couldn't imagine Fred Capenos would ever enter such a place. However, Fred had already seen this canoe, and had tried to talk the owner into selling it. It's been in the owners family forever and he's not selling. Fred confirms that it is a Rushton IG, so kudos to both Mark and MGC for getting it right from that not-so-good photo I posted. And best of luck to Fred in case the owner ever changes his mind. End of thread. Tom McCloud

Back