UFO

mccloud

"Tiger Rag" back on the tidal Potomac
In Memoriam
I have this unidentified old, open gunwale w/c canoe and see that it was extensively rebuilt, as there are 7 consecutive miss-matched ribs near center. I'll describe only what I believe to be original. 14 1/2' long, 34+" wide (though center thwart is probably not original, so may have been stretched, thwart held in with L-shaped bolts sunk into inwales like Morris did, with square nuts), no other thwarts or holes in the inwales except for where the seats were hung. Depth 12", 42 ribs which are not tapered, very heavy, 1/4+", planking is 3 3/4” wide, brass screws are all slot head, a screw thru every rib into the keel and staggered slightly L-R-L-R, cone washers quite small, stem not splayed but unusually long extending over 7 ribs. Only the forward 2 ribs are true cant ribs, while the remaining 5 are 'bent-over' with some cracking. The decks may or may not be original, wood possibly spruce?, not thick or carved, but with considerable upward curvature to the stem tip, attached to the inwales. So far I've not found any serial numbers, remains of decals, etc. Any thoughts on who the builder might have been?
STH71906.JPG
STH71908.JPG

Attachments

• STH71918.JPG
    STH71918.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 209
This isn't much to go on, untapered ribs often indicate a Charles River area builder. Let us know if you find any other clues under the canvas or elsewhere.

Benson

Back