trying to identify my old canoe

Susan House

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I purchased this canoe about 25 years ago. I had paperwork on it but can not find it now. If my memory is correct the paperwork said it was built in the 20's by a man who lived on Agency Lake in Klamath County Oregon. It is 17 feet long. It is very sturdy in the waves. I have kept it in a barn on the ranch. I love this canoe but am getting older and I think someone may use it and enjoy it more. I am considering selling it, but need more information on it. Thank you in advance for anything this smart group can help me with!

Pictures would probably help, though there are folks here who probably know just by the location. But we like pictures.... !

It is a wooden canoe and green on the exterior. Very pretty. Flat back so you can put a motor on it if you want. The nose is covered and has an arrowhead design where the rope comes out of it. Still working on getting photos out to you. Sorry

upload_2019-4-29_18-29-39.png

The arrowhead painter casting on the covered deck was made especially for St. Louis Arrowhead canoes. It originally had a chain instead of a rope. I have only seen it on the Meraco speedsters, but it might have been an option on their canoes. The speedsters that I am familiar with( only 3 or 4) all had different transom trim and interiors, They might have been built only on special order. The overall shape, covered deck, invisible sponsons, and arrowhead painter casting are the distinguishing features. One that Skip Gibson recanvassed is in the Great Lakes Museum in South Haven , MI. There might be photos of it online.

WOW...I now realize that all I know about canoes is how to fish out of them! I am the 5th generation cattle rancher and get to go fishing once or twice a year, but love it. Thanks for the lead Gil.

From the west coast I have to ask who is Skip Gibson? This canoe came with a sail ...I thought the guy who sold it to me was kidding me. I am not sure I have that sail anymore. I see this photo and about fainted! 25 years ago I had my friend, a sail boat sailer, come look at it. We couldn't figure it out and aborted the idea of the sail fitting that canoe! I was wanting to sell it, but now I am not sure what to do. Do you have any thougts? Is it special enough to go to a museum? If sold, what price would you put on it. Trailer not included!

deck.jpg

I was wanting to sell it, but now I am not sure what to do. Do you have any thoughts? Is it special enough to go to a museum? If sold, what price would you put on it. Trailer not included!

If you like fishing out of it then keep it and continue. It is special but probably not unique enough for a museum to get excited about it (unless you are also willing to contribute a large endowment to pay for the display space and maintenance). The pricing information at http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/57/ that Paul posted previously was written for canoes with two pointed ends. Canoes with a transom like this tend to sell for less although most of the same principles apply. The classifieds at http://www.wcha.org/classifieds are usually the best way to find a good new home for a canoe like this. You will see some similar boats there for comparison. Skip Gibson was a long time member of the organization who died a few years ago. Feel free to reply here if you have other questions. Good luck with the decision,

Benson

Last edited:
Thank you for your information! Now I want to hook on to it and take a road trip to your side of the world! Smile

Back