Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Trying to figure out what Canoe this is

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by roadlesspaddled, Jul 8, 2016.

1. roadlesspaddled

roadlesspaddled New Member

As my wife says, I have taken on another mistress! I have only had her a week but I know it's true love (see pics). I recently found and purchased a cedar canvas canoe that has me pondering as to what it is. I think it is a Chestnut, as the decks have the concave arc cut, with the underside rounded. From there I am not sure. It's dimensions are 16' x 36" x 12.75". It has babiche seats and seat hangers like a huron or faber (which I think are not the originals). It has 2 thwarts and then 2 hand thwarts. The bow and stern curve back more than most of the Chestnuts I have seen. The ribs are 2.375" x .375" and are spaced apart 1.5". There are no cant ribs and no keel or a serial number. A lot of the features make me think it might be a Pal, (dimensions, thwarts) but the seats and hangers and no keel are saying otherwise. Please take a look and let me know if you know what this might be.
    DSCN2587.jpg
    DSCN2591.jpg

2. Mark Adams

Mark Adams all wood nut

Looks Canadian, I.E. a Huron, Faber, or some such.

3. Fitz

Fitz Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

The wide planking makes me think Mark is hot on the trail. More pictures of the interior and deck would assist.