Trimming filled canvas to the trimline

thechief

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
After I stretched the canvas I made the mistake of trimming the canvas flush with the inrail and filled the canvas. Any suggestions of the best way to trim the filled canvas to the trimline so the gunnels will fit correctly. They are the original spruce gunnels. On the note is the a preferred method of working on those darn thing? I want to strip them and wire brush in the inside. They appear fragile difinatly awkward. Claps?

I use a razor knife to trim the canvas. Yours will be fa bit tricky as the piece to remove will be narrow. For the outwales......just be careful. I have a long work bench that I use.

Thanks ,I have been setting up a long plank on horse's was just hoping there were an easier way .I was thinking light spring clamps. Haven't tried it yet. I'm at a turning point into the unfamiliar.
Since the canvas at the shear line is already cut at the right length in some places I'm trying new surgical scissors if not I'm back to the utility knife and a box of blades.
I am getting ready to put the sponsons back on another hurdle.i am hesitant to put hols in canvas just filled 10 days ago. Also the keel, does it go on before the sponsons while I can reach it?

I don't see that it matters if the keel goes on before or after sponsons. I prefer to put the keel on after the first coat of primer. Others do it after the filler and before primer. Probably a number of ways it's been done.

Thanks, I used a pair af my wife's surgical scissors the worked precisely. Ya I guess there's no easy way to work on the gunnels just carefully . I set up a long plank on horse's patience is the key,knowing when to walk away and sleep on it.

Back